Soundcraft E Series vs. Yamaha MG Series

virgoanmethod

Hey guys....

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, but here goes:

I am now looking for a new board to replace my home studio mixer, currently a Behringer MX1604A. It has done me well, but its time to move on to better things.

I'd like something under 500 dollars. The two main boards I'm looking at are the Soundcraft E12 and the Yamaha MG16/6FX. The Soundcraft doesn't have any grouping and only 2 stereo channels. The Yamaha does have four groups but lacks 100mm faders, something that's definately on my wishlist. (by the way: I'm not interested in the 16/6 for the effects, only for the extra grouping flexibility)

Or, if you could make any more recommendations that'd be great. I've ruled out Behringer and Mackie as options. Behringer's have actually served me better than Mackie boards. Every Mackie I've ever worked with has disappointed me, like the DFX12, the 16channel VLZ and the 24channel VLZ Pro.

well u could try out the following mixers

Folio FX16

Spirit M12

Allen And Heath MixWizard 20

or you could wait for the new mackies (c their NAMM announcements) that are more flexible and can be connected directly to a computer with firewire (you will need the firewire option installed though)

HTH

Cool, thanks!

I can't afford the A&H or the Folio, but I've gotten many recommendations about the Spirit M Series. Does anybody know anything about the following:

Spirit M Series
Spirit E Series
Yamaha MG Series

Well, I can't talk about the Soundcrafts, but I have the MG16/4, and I am honestly very pleased with it. it compares well to the Mackie VLZ Pro mixers, the pres don't sound the same, but I seriously have no preference for either one (half a dozen of one, 6 of the other).

I got the chance to A/B a MG board and a E series board at a local shop just last weekend. I listened on Extreme Isolation phones and over the PA monitors they had hooked up. The MG sounded WAY better to my ears. Functionality is a little different so if feature "X" is indispensible then do your homework, but if you're just going by sound then I would take the MG.

Of course this is only a comparison of the MG vs the E. As other people have mentioned there are other boards that would be worth considering as well.

Just my opinion

Jason A.

There must be a few dozen people on this board with Yammie MG's (including me) and every single comment on them has been positive. Well worth doing a search if you haven't already.

Back