Sansamp RBI vs. Channel strip

metalhead28

Hates Raymond
Sansamp RBI vs. Channel strip for D.I. bass

Hey guys, I don't usually fish for peoples opinions on gear because it's so hard to get a straight answer, but I decided to give in just this once... :D

I am in the midst of buying some new gear for my home studio and this issue is giving me fits!
I primarily want just a fat, natural bass sound and possibly a little growl and overdrive occasionally. I currently use a cheap direct box and a compressor to track bass and get semi-decent results, but I want to step up to something that will really sound great. I am impressed by the reviews I hear on the sansamp RBI for direct recording, and I was thinking about going that route, but can anybody compare that to what I could get out of something like the Art Pro-channel for a DI bass sound? I've heard that I could do well with something like that but I guess what I'm wondering is will the Sansamp, being specifically bass oriented, probably give me a better sound? I have never used a mic-pre/channel strip to DI a bass before.
My train of thought is that for the $300 I could go with a channel strip like that instead and then have another pre-amp option for other things as well. Just keep in mind that my primary consideration is the bass quality and tone.

I appreciate anyone's insight on this!

Last edited:
Reactions: NL5
oh well.....I just couldn't stand to wait on responses.....
I went ahead and ordered the Sansamp.

Please, still feel free to offer any opinions!

:D :D :D :D

just to follow up on this one....

I recieved the Sansamp RBI last week and it is fantastic. Don't regret the decision one bit, I think it does make a difference having a box dedicated to the bass, the tones and versatility are indeed awesome. Even sounds good with my shitty bass (sounds much better with my good one ;) )

Thumbs up to the RBI

Hey I just now saw this thread. I'm about to buy that RBI myself. I have been using $100 to $200 channel strips for bass, and it's very limited compared to what you've got in the RBI. RBI is made for this. You probably already saw that thread I started where I was considering not buying an RBI in order to spend the $300 to get a better preamp instead. The replies that came in resurrected the RBI, and I'm so sick of no real options on bass tone the RBI shot to the top of the short list for me. I'll have one in about a week.

Back