racking a TSR-8

lilcapn

hi --

i recently bought a tascam tsr-8 tape machine; i've read that it should be stored "horizontally" as opposed to vertically. i've seen some racks that hold mixers almost horizontally (a bit slanted) -- is this the type of thing i'd need to "rack" the tape machine? is this important?

also regarding it's storage, i've heard that there are pieces of equipment (mic pre's, for example) that shouldn't be stored in the same rack due to the power supplies for those units degrading the signal going to the tape machine....again, is this a real fear?

if so, what IS ok to rack with a tape machine?

thanks, i'd rather get it set up right to begin with!

mac

I use to have a TSR-8. Mine was rackmounted in a rack unit on wheels. I kept it semi-verticle, i.e. on a bit of an angle 45 - 55 degree's. Made changing reels a little easier. I can't remember whether it came with additional hardware for rackmounting or whether I had to buy something. Should say so in the manual though.

It's a good idea to keep anything that may generate some electromagnetic interference/fields away from tape. I had my power amp in the same rack but it was at the very bottom, probably a good 2 feet from the reels. Never noticed any problems, but I deguassed frequently. If you don't have a head degausser/demagnetizer you should get one.

Enjoy your TSR-8, great unit.

waiting for the tsr

hey emeric -

thanks for the advice; i'm still waiting to receive the machine, but i'm exciting about adding some tape to my world -- since i ditched my 4 track a couple years ago i've been using a VS-1680 and though i like it, it's starting to sound a little thin to me...hopefully i'll be able to use them both in tandem via my soundcraft board (once i figure out how to deal with the -10/+4 issue...).

a couple questions:

so if i keep the power supply a few feet down from the machine, what COULD i safely keep in that same rack?

what does the degausser do? are they expensive?

thanks!
mac

If you keep your poweramp in the bottom of the rack your fine. I had a tapedeck and a cd player on top of that, that's all that would fit in this particuliar rack.

You will probably endup buying another rack unit anyway, if you have a lot of outboard gear.

A degausser if for demagnetizing the heads on the multitrack. This is an important part of maintenance. That along with cleaning the heads with isopropyl alcohol (get as pure stuff as possible, 99%), and rubber conditioner for the pinch roller.

I bought a TEAC demagnetizer, I think I paid around $80 for it.

Here are a couple pics of how I had it setup, blurry....

Attachments

• tsr8top22.jpg
    tsr8top22.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 34
I bought it at Steve's Music in Ottawa. Don't think it had a brandname, it wasn't expensive, $50 or so. Check out any large music store, they should have one that will work for you.

Back