Preamp or Channel Strip???

Blue Steel

Greetings,

I have a small project studio and I need some info regarding mic pres. I record w/ (2) Fostex VF-16s & Audio Technica 4033/SM. The budget has finally allowed me some room to purchase a dedicated mic pre/channel strip. I'm looking to get a channel strip because of the multiple functions it includes (de-esser/comp/eq).

At this time I am considering the following:

1. Drawmer MX60
2. Presonous VXP
3. dbx 376
4. Joe Meek VC1qs

One of the main reasons I'm looking for a channel strip is to use the de-esser to control a sibilance problem that I have when I record certain vocals. Mic placement and a pop screen has corrected the problem with most of my clients, however there are a few who always come across heavy on the S' & T' sounds.

Should I buy one of the above mentioned units or go with a mic pre & compressor w/ a parametric eq patched into the sidechain.

Such as:

1. Grace 101 mic pre + FMR Audio RNC + Parametric EQ
2. M-Audio DMP-3 + FMR Audio RNC + Parametric EQ

Will this be a significant step up from the aforementioned channel strips? Or will the multi-functionality of the channel strips offer greater options for flexibilty? Or should I just by the most "inexpensive" of these set ups and try to make do until I can afford something like an Neve/Avalon/Great River, etc.?

I'd greatly appreciate your assistance.

Blue

i know this is a serious step up in price but you might want to check into the langevin dvc for roughly 1500 dollars. it might seem like alot of money but its a killer channel strip made by Manley.
You get two preamps
eq
and a great limiter... which in itself is worth the money since the same standalone limiter seperate is $1400.

I'll be getting one in the near future as my first pro preamp.

check out these comments on rec.audio.pro

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...=sZzB7.620%24C7.284901%40news02.optonline.net

calm down, just give some people time to respond. Dont take it personally, alot of people just dont feel they can give an accurate response to your question.

as for channel strip compared to many different pieces, it all depends on the price range of your budget.

i'd be weary to buy "budget" channel strips since you might get a good pre but your eq and compression might be duds and not worth the extra price of the unit.

if im below the 1000 dollar mark, id generally look at getting individual units not channel strips. generally you can get a decent pre between $500 and $1000, a good two compressor can be had for under $500 (ie.... RNC, check out mercenary.com)
so id say if your budget is under a $1000, invest in different racks, not channel strips..

Tried the Presonus VXP with a C1 and that's the way I will go...

Solid Unit.

I prefered a colored preamp to a transparent one. The transparent one made my voice sound cold.

You should... no... YOU MUST go to your music store and A/B test the preamps. You're investing serious money here so don't make a blind choice.

My two cents,
Beathoven

I also have the Presonus VXP and C1 combo. Tried several others, but this combo works super good for me.

For the money involved, those 2 are hard to beat.

Good luck.

Charlie

Beathoven said:
Tried the Presonus VXP with a C1 and that's the way I will go...

Solid Unit.

I prefered a colored preamp to a transparent one. The transparent one made my voice sound cold.

You should... no... YOU MUST go to your music store and A/B test the preamps. You're investing serious money here so don't make a blind choice.

My two cents,
Beathoven

The VXP is a transparent pre. I would definitely go for the grace over the vxp. Also check out mindprint. Ive had it for a few months and am VERY happy with it. Its a channel strip with tube compression which can be very thick. Its not a meek, it has its own sound which is more elegant than a meek and can be used for finer applications like say a cornet solo (thats with the compression). Or on a 4 part harmony where you want transparency. The big deal to me was the envoice's ability to maintain clarity on transients while still being thick and tubey. Something not very common in the $500 price range. Also the pre on its own without the EQ or comp turned on is really good. Its clean but very present and muscular, its smokes mackie pres, DMP3s, and the ghost pres on my soundcraft as well as anything in the range by focusrite or art in terms of presence, bigness, speed of transients, etc. It takes 3-4dB of beautiful soundcraft EQ at 12k and 350Hz, to get even close to the envoice and even then the soundcraft pres are smaller sounding. Now soundcraft makes great pres as compared to most everything in the range but theyre not in the same league as mindprint. Although its not really fair to compare outboard channel strips with native mixer pres. There is a few hundred dollar difference there. I aint for sure about the drawmer but that unit never went anywhere so I would proceed with caution.

Back