Output Of Direct Box Into Headphone Amp?

ghetto3jon

hello,

here's the short version: is it OK to run the 1/4" output of a direct box (GT Direct Box) into the Left 1/4" Main Input of the Behringer HA4700 Headphone Amp?

here's the long version: i'm splitting the output of an iPod, and sending the R (click track) to the Right Input of the headphone amp, and the L (pre-recorded material) into a direct box. The XLR output of the Direct Box is then sent to a PA. what i'd like to do is run the 1/4" output of the Direct Box into the Left channel of the headphone amp...so the click is coming straight out of the iPod into the Right channel of the headphone amp, and the pre-recorded material is going through a Direct Box and being split, with the XLR output going to the PA and the 1/4" output going into the L channel of the headphone amp. then i press the mono button on the headphone amp, and the drummer can hear the click and the pre-recorded material and use the "balance" knob to get a good mix.

so i'm not going to damage the headphone amp at all, right? i'm just concerned about the output of the DI going into the headphone amp...

thanks!

The volume might be low but it won't hurt anything. You don't really need a DI. Just send the outputs directly to the mixer and send the click out on an Aux send.

the volume might be too low? oh, i guess that's my problem...i don't really know how a direct box works. i was concerned that sending the 1/4" out of a direct box into the left channel headphone amp would be too hot a signal and perhaps damage the headphone amp...shows what i know.

oh, and i know that i don't really need a DI...but most sound guys like to see an XLR out on a "sampler" setup. and i always like avoiding a house DI box.

Yeah, the 1/4" Out on the DI is just a "Thru" for the instrument signal. It's so you can send the guitar/bass directly to your amp (as well as sending it out MIC Level via the DI XLR Out).

The Headphone Amp IN is looking for a Line Level Input.

So the short answer, is yeah TexRoadkill is right. The DI 1/4" Out is sending a lower level than the headphone amp IN is looking for, but it won't hurt anything.

And I'm not even getting into impedance here, I know that, it's just easier this way. (For other people who might read this post)

Edit: I accidently said DI XLR out was Line Level, OOPS. It's obviously Mic Level.

Last edited:
Back