Neve 1073 clones

Michael Jones

It seems as of late, there has been a proliferation of 1073 clones on the market. Is there anyway to tell (by looking) the difference between the vintage 1073's and the clones?

Michael, I would suggest you go by reputation not by labels. If you do your research and ask around you will find that the cream rises to the top.

There are a couple of products out there that will see over and over and this is because they have a proven track record. (no pun intented) :D

I suggest you take a look at the Great River MP-2NV. This is an outstanding Neve 1073 design and this is what I call one of my "desert island" picks.

Lee

It is the sound that matters, you're absolutely right. But I would expect the clones to sound different than the original vintage modules. That's why I'm wondering about the difference in appearence, and if you could spot a clone from looks alone.

I think the original 1073's look cool, not butt ugly at all!

TheseAre supposedly all original, and have both black and blue knobs.

Most 1073 clones use the same circuits and components and should sound the same, but most of them doesn't actually try to look as the original, just sound like it... :)

And of course, the clones would have to be manufactured during the 70's and 80's or they'd look too new, so that could be a hint for you not to get fooled. Of course, buying on ebay it's hard to tell those things...

Id make sure I bought from a reputable supplier (No Ebay) and even to pop the case to make sure the schematics and the components agree. Check for oxidation on the soldering, is it shiny new solder or grayed with oxidation. I know you already where to obtain the wiring diagrams. I thought Bush said cloning was a bad idea. The difference in quality btw a clone and the real thing is pretty drastic to the trained ear. Not me though :cool:

SoMm

Back