need help wiring my Orban to my patch bay!

lilcapn

got an Orban 111B, 2-channel spring reverb dealie, and on the back instead of jacks there are screws for me to attach wires to.

i've never owned anything where i had to connect something like this to my patchbay. i assume i'm just going to want to wrap wires around the screws and tighten them down, but i'm unclear about a couple things and i was hoping someone could translate the back of this unit for me.

each channel has a row of 8 screws. above the screws are written, in order:

direct out (bal) mixed out (unbal)

in \/ H L /// H \/ ///

the "V" type signal is actually more like a downward pointing arrow made of horizontal lines, and the other symbol is more like a downward pointing pitchfork, but i've replicated it the best i could.

i am assuming that with the balanced out, it's H (hot - pin 2), L (?) and then some kind of signal for ground.

don't understand how i'm supposed to come into the unit with just the two screws in that section (one labeled "in", the other with the downward arrow symbol).

also, does this mean they assume you'll make your own cable with one end just stripped wires and a connector on the other ? i guess they actually assume that you'll have a patchbay that's hardwired, but i don't.

any guidance here would be great, i wanna use the thing!

thanks.

well, when this got posted it didn't represent my little diagram very well. so i simplified it. but if anyone has experience with one of these hopefully they won't need to understand my bizarre diagram.

lilcapn said:
got an Orban 111B ... i assume i'm just going to want to wrap wires around the screws and tighten them down,

So far, so good.

each channel has a row of 8 screws. above the screws are written, in order:

direct out (bal) mixed out (unbal)

in \/ H L /// H \/ ///

the "V" type signal is actually more like a downward pointing arrow made of horizontal lines, and the other symbol is more like a downward pointing pitchfork, but i've replicated it the best i could.

i am assuming that with the balanced out, it's H (hot - pin 2), L (?) and then some kind of signal for ground.

You've pretty much got it, I think.
H means high (or hot, if your prefer) = + signal
L means low = - signal (inverted version of H)
Downward arrow of horizontal lines = earth ground
Downward pitchfork = chassis ground.

Anyway, that's what the symbols mean. As to how to hook them up, there is actually a bit of disagreement -- or perhaps a diversity of practices -- in how to deal with grounds, so I'm not totally sure about that. Here's my best guess, which someone will, I hope, correct if it's totally off base.

If you're hooking it to a patchbay with jacks on the back, the best approach is probably to wire a cable to it with the appropriate plug (TRS? I'll assume that) on the other end. You can cut a pre-made cable in half, or make a new cable by soldering a plug onto one end. An alternative approach might be to wire a very short pigtail cable with jack. Then you could use the jack like the panel-mounted jacks in your other equipment.

Input:
Tip wire to "in" screw (in a TS/one-conductor/unbalanced cable, that's the only wire in the middle. In a TRS/two-conductor/balanced cable, use a multimeter or continuity tester to figure out which is the tip wire ... cut the other one off altogether or tie it to the shield)
Shield to ground screw.

Balanced Output (what you're probably using):
Tip wire to "H" screw.
Ring wire to "L" screw.
Shield to chassis ground screw.

Unbalanced Output:
Tip wire to "H" screw
Shield to chassis ground screw.

thanks!

great info -- thanks a lot!

i didn't know what i'd do with that third wire on the input, guess i'd snip it like you say, or tie it to the ground.

good idea on the short cable with a jack on it.

thanks again!

Back