My NR is a radio receiver

Matt

Any ideas how I can get rid of the picking up of a local radio station by my Hush 2CX NR unit? It's the ONLY rack unit I have that picks up RF. It's also the only rack unit with a skimpy power cord and a wall wart. Any suggestions?

This may sound crazy, but I don't think your equipment alone is the problem. Do you have a power antanae on your roof?
Also, do you have a radio or stereo plugged into the waiting room sound system? It sounds like you are picking up something close...If you are in an apartment, it may be that someone trying to get a better sound from the local desert radio station is doing you harm. You should not get that kind of noise. Unless you are super duper man and every one wants to sit on your lap!

Any cable going into a device can act as an aerial. You then get rectification across a transistor somewhere to give you an audio signal. RF can "leap about" (capacitive coupling) inside a unit.

So what you need to do is work out which input (including the power cable) is introducing the rf into the device and then to fix it.

The first step should be to check the devices grounding. Take your multimeter and check the resitance between the case of the device and ground. It should be at most a few ohms. If it is not grounded, or badly grounded, give it a better ground.

If you don't have a multimeter, you can get one that will suffice for a few dollars at Radio Shack.

Once you have it nicely grounded, if the problem still occurs, remove the input cables and see if the problem persists. If it goes away, try replacing the input cables. If it does not go away, the RF is coming up the power cord. In this case, you can get RF chokes that you can put on the cable.

I wonder if anyone makes power strips with RF traps in them? If so, one should grab a few of these on general principles. Overhead power lines are excellent aerials.

Back