midi patchbay trickeries

i bought a patchbay because

my keyboard is connected to my soundcard by midi In an OUt
i have a midi controller (drum pad) connected to my kbd that only has a midi out
so when using my drum pad i can't playback tracks recorded on the computer unless i unplug the Controller from the keyboard and and plug the soundcard - to keep from having to reach behing my setup i bought a patchbay

the patchbay has 2 Ins and 8 Outs
the keyboard Midi Out goes to patchbay Input 1
the pad Midi Out goes to patchbay Input 2
the soundcard Midi In goes to patchbay Output 1
the soundcard Midi Out goes to keyboard Midi In
(did all this according to the manual)

when playing the drum pad even though i see midi data going into the computer i can't hear anything unless
the pad's Midi Out goes to Keyboard Midi In which is the way i'm trying not to go hence the patchbay

What aren't i doing lemme know

Guidance, PRS

Depending on your patch bay, either you are sending or recieving on the wrong channel or you have to flip switches.

Carl

thanks

according to the set up described above
when the switch is on 1 for Input 1 ( keyboard) i can see midi data being sent to the soundcard and i hear it as well

whereas when it's on 2 i can see midi data being sent to the soundcard but i can't hear anything

i haven't used the Midi thru on the kbd yet
i'm thinking of disconnecting the pad from the patchbay and go from Drum Pad Midi Out to Keyboard Midi Thru

Com'on ppl my platinum single is almost there , well i can't really see it but i think it's there so a likkle hook up :D ;) :D

Guidance

What are you trying to do here? Are you wanting to play the keyboard's sounds with the pads? It seems like you have it connected properly so the problem must be, as Krakit suggested, something with the midi channels.

It would seem that the keyboard is not setup to receive midi on whatever channel the Pad is sending on.

yeah tex

i'm indeed trying to play the keyboard's sounds with the pads?
but as it is right now i'm away from my homegrown maddness so as soon as i get back i'll play with some switched unplug some and give a report

Thanks

Where are you telling the MIDI data to be sent to the Keyboard MIDI IN? Is there a setting on the patch bay that says to route the MIDI IN 2 of the patch bay to the MIDI OUT 1 of the patch bay? If not, are you doing this through software on the PC? Is this device, in fact, a MIDI patch bay, or is it a MIDI Splitter/Combiner of some sort?

I use an old Digital Music MX8 Midi patch bay, and do this sort of thing all of the time. In fact, my old drum pads are a Yamaha DD5. They only broadcast on channel 1, so I have to instruct the patch bay to convert it's channel 1 data to channel 10, but that's all done through the patch bay.

Now, if I were to run the Drum Pad into my PC's MIDI IN, and expect the PC to pass it on to the MIDI Out on the PC, I would be running my Cakewalk Sonar software, and telling it to use MIDI Through. Usually, I let my patch bay handle the patching, and feed my PC Data from the patch bay, so that I receive only the converted Data, as mentioned above...otherwise I'd have to edit tracks triggered by my drum pad, to convert everything to channel 10 after recording.

Back