Home Recording Equipment: Upgrade Advice?

bmeador

I've been piecing together a little home recording studio over the last 5 years or so. I use it to record my music, mostly acoustic guitar (sometime with a Fisher pickup, sometimes through my mic) and vocals with some string bass or electric guitar (by mic'ing my Deluxe Reverb amp) thrown in once in a while for good measure. The goal is to craft music I can share with friends and use for demo's with potential small venues.

Below is the system that I have so far. Any recommendations on what my next purchase should be? I suspect that I need a compressor and probably a new mic, but I'm looking for your expert opinions:

For Recording:
- Yamaha MD4 4 Track MiniDisc Recorder
http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/SNAMM96/Yamaha/MD4.html
- Alesis MidiVerb 4 Effects Processor
http://www.alesis.com/products/midiverb4/index.html
- AudioTechnica ATM41HE Mic
http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/ATM41HE.html

I mixdown to my HP Omnibook 500 Laptop using the following:
- Aardvark Direct Mix USB3 SoundCard
http://www.aardvark-pro.com/direct_pro_usb3.html
- CakeWalk Guitar Tracks 2.0
http://cakewalk.com/Products/GuitarTracks/default.asp

I'm nothing but happy with the Yamaha. I've considered going completely to a computer based system, but I like the way the Yamaha works and the storage capability. Those few times I've needed to do something fancy (like add a drum track or move vocals around in the song) I was able to use Guitar Tracks by recording single tracks to it.

So, specific things I'm interested in:
1. What's the single most important thing I could add to improve my recording quality?
2. A compressor, that's necessary, right? Based on previous threads, I've got a pretty good idea of what I need...
3. I don't know much about my mic (it was a gift). Am I killing myself by not upgrading to something? What do you recommend?
4. Guitar Tracks 2.0 doesn't record 24 bit, but the USB supports it. I supposed I should upgrade the software I use for mixdown. Rec's here?
5. Final question - does anyone else use the Aardvark DirectMix USB3? I'm having some problems with sound playback (sound cuts out). Tech support was unable to help me. It's really frustrating, but at least the recording piece works like it should.

Thanks for any advice you can give you a relative novice.

Brad.

The answer to question #1 is to rehearse a lot!

Although that's meant mainly in jest, it's easy to forget that many
of the "best" recordings have been made on less than stellar
equipment as 95%+ of a good recording IS the performance.
Having said that...

1) Other than the "talent" performing, and the recording ability
of the person doing the recording, the three(!) most
important elements are what microphone(s) are used,
the quality of the mic pre's, and the sound quality of the
room it's recorded in.

2) Yes, expect to use compression. Assuming your computer
doesn't provide reasonable quality compression, a nice
outboard set-up would be a Fmr. Audio RNC compressor,
and a Joe Meek MC2 compressor IMHO. The RNC for
"clear" compression, and the Meek for "color".

A hypercardiod dynamic like your Audio-Technica tends to work
better in "uptempo" material rather than ballads for most
voices, although YMMV. It's generally regarded as a good microphone BTW. One set-up worth considering would be to
get a Studio Projects large diaphram condenser and their
VTB-1 mic pre. That would run you around $270 on up depending
which mike you get out of the product line.
Or you could start out by just getting a good mic pre like that one,
and learning to use what you already have.

Remember to watch out for people like me who are microphone
junkies. I use 8 different ones for on vocals!

Also using two different 16 bit based systems, one is Free Pro Tools, and the other is the Tascam 564 minidisc.
Due to it's simplicity and 4 direct outs, I also prefer using it initially, then running it into the computer for editing.

Both 16 bit sytems are more than fine for your intentions.
If using the Yamaha keeps you better focused on the music,
keep using it-until Sony asks you to record The Dixie Chicks!

Chris

P.S. 99%+ of the posters here, including myself, are
non-professionals. We do have a few "resident pros"
who are more reliable for expert advice.
Welcome to the boards.

I would not recommend the NT1 as my first choice for all around use.I'd save a little more and step up to the Audio technica 4033 which is a very versatile mic for approx. $299.00 or from what I've been told you may want to look at the SP C1 which goes for $199.00.Both mics are well worth the $$$$.

Another idea for versatility would be a Studio Projects B3 multi-pattern microphone, in addition to considering the C1.
You may find the option of a omni pattern to be handy.
It's a good idea to have the option of a dynamic microphone and
a condenser microphone to use depeding on the source.
If it's in the budget, be sure to check out the C3 too.

Chris

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I bought the C1 and a Presonus BlueTube pre-amp at a local shop. So far I'm really digging the new setup. Now if I can just con someone into getting me a compressor for Christmas...

If a compressor as stocking-stuffer is in your future, many here rave about FMR's RNC (Really Nice Compressor). About $175 or so.

Thanks, Geekgurl

Question for you - where's a good place or two in the Bay Area to buy equipment? I live in the City. Thanks.

Back