Compression on Kick/Snare

theletterq

Just wondering what compression settings some of you use on kicks and snares...attack, release, threshold, ratio, etc. For some reason I'm having some difficulty getting a good setting dialed in.

Thanks!

On snare I use a medium attack and fast release, to bring out the tone of the snare. I usually don`t compress the kick so much
only if the drummer is really shitty. But it really depends on what comps you have. what do you have ???

Amund

Just the useless built-in one on my Fostex VF160 which is probably where my major problem lies....like all of us, I need more money. :)

I usually start with a 4:1 on both with the fastest attack and release times. Then I lower the threshold until it just starts compressing. Once that is working, I'll adjust the attack (usually only on the snare) and release (wich is usually fine where it is), then the threshold and ratio again to fine tune, as needed.

If you think this sucks then don't do it. :)

acommon traditional sound is around 25 mS attack and 250 mS release, between 3 to 6 :1 ratio, with the threshold set just above the level of the body part of the lower snare hits

if you got some kinda editor zoom in and reall take a look at that snare and youll get a real good idea on what to mess with

I prefer absolutely no compression whatsoever on kick or snare. Why on earth anyone would want to do that is beyond me. :D Peak limiting . . . now that's a different story.

chessrock said:
I prefer absolutely no compression whatsoever on kick or snare. Why on earth anyone would want to do that is beyond me. :D Peak limiting . . . now that's a different story.

If you get the chance, try a 1176 on the snare(when mixing), and you`ll understand......

Amund

How about, like . . . not using anything at all ?

I guess it all depends on the drummer. With all due respect to the expertise of many of you here (I actually look forward to renting some of these marvels of which you speak and learning their ins and outs).

Drums are one thing where, if I've been blessed enough to work with a talented drummer with a good kit, fresh heads, knows how to tune, etc. . . . I ain't messin' with it a whole lot.

A good one (ie - one who's a real musician) will make you look like the most brilliant of engineers. People will say: "Wow. That comp on the kick and snare is amazing. What did you use? The 1776? The LA2A? Distressor? I must know!" . . . as they listen on in disbelief.

And you (wisely) pointed the mics, hit record and not a whole lot else after that. :D

Chess,

You are bless-ed than I. Compression is but a tool, that I unfortunately have to use more than often on drums.

But, to make you feel better, you are living my dream world. ;) :D

Ahhh...the world of talent. I wish it was more of a reality than a utopia.

Anyways, q, I think Chess' point is this: how does the track sound without compression?

I've been working with several younger bands lately that play "nu-metal" or "new metal" or whatever you want to call it. They all want that thawcky highly compressed snare sound that seems to be so popular right now. Also, most of them aren't quite what I would call rehearsed so I'm hoping some well placed compression will help smooth the drums out a bit....

I'll go even further than Chess on this....rather than compressing the snare, I usually put an expander on it. There's not that many snares that I really want to hear the shell ring on, and since the snare tends to get mixed pretty hot, I don't want to hear the bleed either. An expander takes care of both of these, and gives the snare a nice crack. The exception is if it's a really nice snare that rings out nicely, in which case I'll just leave it alone. In either case, if the drummer hits a few too soft or hard, I prefer to spend 10 minuits going through the track and editing those hits to bring them up or down, while simultainiously fixing any early or late hits.
Cheers, RD

chessrock said:
People will say: "Wow. That comp on the kick and snare is amazing. What did you use? The 1776? The LA2A? Distressor? I must know!" . . . as they listen on in disbelief.

I gotta admit, it's hard to beat that 1776. (Although the 1492 comes close...)

Back