Chaining an AVALON U5 DI to a AVALON VT737sp

yetipur

Will it cause damage to either component if you chain a Avalon U5 DI to a Avalon VT737sp? I want to go into the U5 first, then to the VT737. I love the sound of the U5, but wanna be able exploit the Eq capabilities of the VT737. I thought I would ask before I screw something up.

thnx

Thanks, but are direct boxes meant to be used this way though? I mean, I always though that a direct box is what it implies....a direct injection to tape/digtal recorder. Will it damage either component though?

Normally a DI is meant to convert a guitar's impedance to the impedance that a mic preamp wants to see.

According to the spech sheet, the U5 has both the mic level output of a standard DI and also a line level out meant to go straight to any recorder or line level input

The 737 also has a DI input. a mic level input and a line level input

You can plug the U5's mic level out into the 737 mic pre in, or you can plug the U5's line level out to the 737 line in, or you can plug your guitar straight into the 737's DI input bypassing the U5 completely

Thanks for your answer. What would give me better quality though.....mic out to mic in, or line out to line in?

thnx

Honestly, probably the third option, straight from the guitar to the DI thats already on the 737, that would be the fewest amplifiers in the path

But if the u5 is doing something you really like then I would say line out to line in

I would say DI mic out to preamp mic in. If you go out of the DI at line level, then what do you need the preamp for?

Well if he wanna use the 737's EQ and he likes what the U-5 sounds like, as stated, use the 737 line input will keep from dropping back to mic level..( using the U-5 mic output)..Good luck..

why would you send the mic level out into a line input? Wouldn't you use the line level out?
That's what I was saying. Coming out of the U-5's mic level output, would drop the signal back to mic level.. (That's why I emphasized it in parenthesis).. If he's liking what he hear from the U-5, then come out of the U-5 line level output into the 737's line input...:cool:

Back