Beyerdynamic M500 Classic limited edition pre amp suggestions

Walter Tore

I picked up a mint, used one today, and my electro harmonix 12AY7 pre amp doesn't have enough gain to get the levels up in the yellow zone. I hooked a second EH to it, and was able to get as much gain as I wanted. I kept it pretty low, for fear of clipping. I could have pushed it some more.

The thing I love about this mic, is it only picks up what is right in front of it. I do a real 1 man band, and my recording style is live. All my other condensors bleed too much high hat and snare into the vocals/harp mic. A quick comparison to my AKG 414, had the 414 deeper when used with just my voice/harp, no instruments. That is why I am wondering if the preamp set up is not doing the beyer justice. All the other songs on the site use the 414 for vocal/harp.

Anyway, is this a good set up for this mic, or are there any 2-400 dollar preamps out there that will power it better, and make it sound better? The latest songs on my site use it on the vocal/harp. The solo harp songs were done with just the M500. All the songs have only reverb, no eq or compression. Thanks. Walter

Last edited:
Back