Best channel strip for under 300??

csands583

I am considering the Pre-Sonus Studio Channel for my Recording Set up (which is pretty grim). My set-up is basically an mbox, macbook pro, and an mxl 2001. HOwever I am unsure whether there is a better strip that can I can get for the buck.

I plan to record my vocals over my midi compositions made in pro tools/reason. Therefore, getting a positive pre-amp for my vocals is very important. Also, during the mixing proccess, I want to run the midi instruments through the channel strip then back into pro tools, getting a livelier the sound. I want to Do the same thing to the Overall Mix during the mastering proccess.

I have not found something better than the Presonus Studio Channel for the price. However maybe someone knows of something else that will better serve what I am trying to accomplish.

I don't think you're going to find a reasonable sounding "channel strip" type unit for $300.

Personally, I wouldn't even be looking at channel strips.

Do the math - Cheapie preamp + cheapie EQ circuitry + cheapie dynamics + cheapie (whatever else it might have) usually = Crap.

There *are* a *FEW* reasonably priced and unusually decent preamps out there -- For the mega-freakishly-cheap, the DMP3. It's not amazing, but it doesn't suck horrifically like so many others in that price range. FMR's RNP would be at the very top of a VERY short list of dual-channel units under $1k (and it's actually under $500).

"Running stuff through hardware to make it livelier" -- Depends on the hardware. In your budget, I'd personally stick with software. And most deifinitely for the 2-buss... You aren't going to find hardware in that price range that's up to the task. To "grunge it up" maybe - But if you're trying to "better" the sound, you're looking at upgrading the entire chain from converter to converter and everything in between.

...getting a positive pre-amp for my vocals is very important. Also, during the mixing proccess, I want to run the midi instruments through the channel strip then back into pro tools
.. Do the same thing to the Overall Mix during the mastering proccess.
..Personally, I wouldn't even be looking at channel strips.

Do the math - Cheapie preamp + cheapie EQ circuitry + cheapie dynamics + cheapie (whatever else it might have) usually = Crap.

And to what ever extent (and I don't pretend to know that extent really..) that's times two, plus the conversion trips.

I am considering the Pre-Sonus Studio Channel for my Recording Set up (which is pretty grim). My set-up is basically an mbox, macbook pro, and an mxl 2001. HOwever I am unsure whether there is a better strip that can I can get for the buck.

I plan to record my vocals over my midi compositions made in pro tools/reason. Therefore, getting a positive pre-amp for my vocals is very important. Also, during the mixing proccess, I want to run the midi instruments through the channel strip then back into pro tools, getting a livelier the sound. I want to Do the same thing to the Overall Mix during the mastering proccess.

I have not found something better than the Presonus Studio Channel for the price. However maybe someone knows of something else that will better serve what I am trying to accomplish.

Well for cheap I'd say the ART mpa gold.

You can find the Focusrite TrakMaster Pros for around $150 on ebay.
It's a good low cost channel strip with a very nice compression set-up.
Changing your mic would really help too!
Look at the large diaphragm KELs....
HSG
www.homestudioguy.com

Software plugins?

my budget is definitely around the 500 range. Not much. I've read reviews that the presonus eureka was great for re-amping and recording vocals. They go for about 350 used. If software mastering is a more reasonable solution, Can someone give me some names of plugins that will be effective?

Thanks for the feedback

I far prefer the tone, versatility and features of the art mpa gold over any other preamp in the sub $400 range other than the GAP, but the gap is single channel and fewer features but sounds excellent, very very slightly better I'd say than the mpa gold, although both are terrific and I've had both. Neither is as good as a $2000 preamp, but they are both far better than they should be. Probably the GAP is the best budget preamp made.

besides both of those preamps you're stuck with dull preamps like the dmp3 (good clean sound but one trick pony) and the RNP (great clean sound but one trick pony and quite overpriced imho for what you get).

so take either the gap or the mpa gold and add in a compressor like a used RNC for cheap (great on many things like vocals) or an art pro vla (2 channels but costs more, better compressor imho for some things and does bass guitar better but the rnc is still really nice if you want transparent).

there are some good channel strips - the focusrite as mentioned is very good, I love their opto compressor, the preamp is really really clean and slightly scooped sounding which makes it useful but just a little less in your face sounding - I have to say that things I have tracked with the trackmaster have actually translated better in a mix and sat better than with some other preamps I've used that were far more expensive - so something about the scooped sound of the trackmaster works well if you're doing quick mixes and want them to sit well and sound good. at least for me. although I don't own them any more, I miss the compressors most of all.

other options that I've seen recommended and would agree are all decent choices:

ART Pro Channel (good, not as good as mpa gold + pro vla, but good, and it is the only true real-tube vari-mu compressor you can buy for less than 4 digits+, although you'll probably find you switch over to it's vca compressor for most things)
Toft (great compressor and eq, boring but good preamp)
Joe Meek sixq (note the spelling of six please - it matters compared to 6q)
Presonus Eureka (used)
Focusrite Green (used)
Drawmer MX60 (used)
Mindprint Envoice (I've heard they're good and around $300 used, don't know first hand though)

by the way, many of my suggestions will likely be more than $300, $300 is almost impossible. try to go up to $400 or a bit more and you might be able to ebay or craigslist onto some of my suggestions.

but I'm really just giving you names - you should do the research yourself and see what you come up with based on that.

I do hope the information helps though :-)

my best,
Don

Back