Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer

You won't need a USB pre but you will need a respectable audio card...audigy sound blaster won't cut it. The Behr mic pre's are pretty low end but can get the job done. However after your first recording attempt you'll be thinking of replacing all sorts of stuff. What is your sound card...start with that. Get something decent that will stick with you for awhile.

Give us a list of your gear...mic's, sound card etc... What are you wanting to accomplish.

Wow two of my pet peeve's in one thread.

James, if all anyone ever did was search this forum would be dead, there is always new people with new opinions.

Alien, do you have first hand experience that every Behringer product is crap or is that just a reputation. I have a wonderful cheap Behringer guitar, preamp and mixer and all are great for home recording.

How you set this up depends on your soundcard but you basically run the cables from the mixer into the PC soundcard. You will either have a Left and Right input into the card, in which case you need appropriate cables from the L/R of the mixer or you can use a cable that takes L/R from the mixer to a 1/8 stereo line in. For home recording you can definitely get by with a soundblaster though something with better inputs and more power would be beneficial.

Tony

HomeMadeHitShow said:
Wow two of my pet peeve's in one thread.

James, if all anyone ever did was search this forum would be dead, there is always new people with new opinions.

Alien, do you have first hand experience that every Behringer product is crap or is that just a reputation. I have a wonderful cheap Behringer guitar, preamp and mixer and all are great for home recording.

How you set this up depends on your soundcard but you basically run the cables from the mixer into the PC soundcard. You will either have a Left and Right input into the card, in which case you need appropriate cables from the L/R of the mixer or you can use a cable that takes L/R from the mixer to a 1/8 stereo line in. For home recording you can definitely get by with a soundblaster though something with better inputs and more power would be beneficial.

Tony

agreed

Listen to my songs and try to figure out which was done with a behringer and a soundblaster, and which was done with my Yamaha and Delta 1010

Ummm...I'm gonna get my ass kicked on this one but, I had the best fun steepest learning curve when I had nothing bu myt Berhinger UB1622FX and a delta 1010LT.

Nothing wrong with the set up...you'll learn and figure out what you really need.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the folks here can't tell the difference between a track recorded with a Behr a yammy, a mackie or anything else...everything else being equal of course. MY SELF INCLUDED.

Punkin you're so right + 90% of the people here can't afford the tools that they could tell the difference with. This forum is usually found by searching for Home Recording info yet there are far too many people recommending "pro" gear or the equivalent.

In a perfect world I would have the best gear, the best studio, the best acoustic treatment... you get the picture. I have upgraded my system and gear a few times and I still am very very far from what most of the guys around here have or claim to have. I know the recordings I am making are not going to be on the radio but I do the best I can with what I have and I love every minute of it.
I admit, I have stayed away from buying Behringer gear lately because of all the bashing it gets. I have a Behringer B1 mic that to me sounds good. I use it for vocals and sometimes mono overhead. Sure I want better but once again I am doing this for my enjoyment and to get my songs down.
Use what you can afford and have fun. Be smart, listen to what the folks on this forum suggest but read between the lines. My guess is that most folks that bash Behringer gear have never used it. I personaly had a Bass V-Amp Pro go south on me so I can say that their stuff can fail. I also have a Behringer B1 that has worked everytime I plug it in.

Well there ya go. Do what you can with the best you can afford, turn out stuff that pleases you...it don't get much better than that unless, you can sell some of your wares or time but that's the gravy right! ;)

I would buy a Alesis USB mixer just plug in and play and be done with it then once you get the feel for it then upgrade. Just a thought I think software is included plus Alesis is a little better then Behringer which I did own one of their mixer's for a few years trouble free but since I'm past the learning curve I had to upgrade a litttle bit more. Newer PC and software, Bigger mixer with more routing options,HD recorder, monitors,mics, guitars and amps,micpre's,drums,cymbals and room treament and a empty bank account a mad wife but a hell of lot better recordings. :rolleyes:

Don't listen to what what these guys have said, eastale. You'll be fine if you get a cord like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110460&cp=2032058.2032228.2032247&allCount=36&fbn=Cable+type%2FAudio+cable&f=PAD%2FCable+Type%2FAudio+cable&fbc=1&parentPage=family . You'll plug the RCA end into the "tape out" on your mixer and that 1/8" end into your line in on your sound card (yes, even on a sound blaster.) Then, on your software, make sure you set your input to the line-in. Ok, then mic up your stuff, check your levels and press record. Everything will be on one stereo track, so it'll have to be a "live" recording, or you can record drums and then play the drums back so the guitarist can hear and and record him on a whole other track (if you have a multi-channel mixer software [you can find some free ones I believe]) for easier mixing. Then you can keep adding tracks as you want, but remember anything in the mixer being recorded will be on one track in your recording software. That's pretty much it, I did it for about a year when I first started, it will do what you want it to.

Now to all you guys that commented on this post: You guys have to realize that he is 14 years old, which means probably no job, so little money, this mixer will probably be a b-day present or something. You also have to realize that he's probably not looking to make killer productions, just get his instrument recorded. There's no reason that he needs better gear for what he wants to do. He'll be fine with this. Now, if he does want to create the next hit, then he will need better stuff, but until then, let him learn on this stuff. Good luck, eastale.

Cult_Status02 said:
Don't listen to what what these guys have said, eastale. You'll be fine if you get a cord like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110460&cp=2032058.2032228.2032247&allCount=36&fbn=Cable+type%2FAudio+cable&f=PAD%2FCable+Type%2FAudio+cable&fbc=1&parentPage=family . You'll plug the RCA end into the "tape out" on your mixer and that 1/8" end into your line in on your sound card (yes, even on a sound blaster.) Then, on your software, make sure you set your input to the line-in. Ok, then mic up your stuff, check your levels and press record. Everything will be on one stereo track, so it'll have to be a "live" recording, or you can record drums and then play the drums back so the guitarist can hear and and record him on a whole other track (if you have a multi-channel mixer software [you can find some free ones I believe]) for easier mixing. Then you can keep adding tracks as you want, but remember anything in the mixer being recorded will be on one track in your recording software. That's pretty much it, I did it for about a year when I first started, it will do what you want it to.

Now to all you guys that commented on this post: You guys have to realize that he is 14 years old, which means probably no job, so little money, this mixer will probably be a b-day present or something. You also have to realize that he's probably not looking to make killer productions, just get his instrument recorded. There's no reason that he needs better gear for what he wants to do. He'll be fine with this. Now, if he does want to create the next hit, then he will need better stuff, but until then, let him learn on this stuff. Good luck, eastale.

True!

Your post once again reminds me that this is the home recording forum and not the pro studio recording forum. There are folks here with everything from a cassette player with a built in mic to guys with million dollar setups.
Let us budget guys have our fun. ;)

Back