An audio interface the equivalent of a Presonus Firebox?

DARKSHINE

Hey everyone,

Sorry if there is a topic like this already, but my internet is capped and for some reason I can't get the search function to work.

I was going to buy the Presonus Firebox, but recently the prices have gone up due to the currency at the moment.
I was able to buy it for $489AUD, but now the cheapest I can get it is $550AUD, and I'm really trying to bargain as I'm on a tight budget.

Now, I was wondering what other interface you guys can recommend that has all the same features as the firebox and as good as quality, that might be a bit cheaper, around the $400 - $480AUD range.

Thanks in advanced, I appreciate it.
Daniel

Hey, Daniel. I like the Focusrite Saffire. I don't own one, but a friend of mine does. I don't know how it stacks up against the Presonus Firebox, though.

Good luck, man.

Ah yeah I see man.

Hmmm
I checked it out, can't find it anywhere in Australia.
I'll keep it in mind though...

Thanks for the reply,

Anyone else got any recommendations?

Thanks

What's available? Do you have local stores, or are you ordering online?
I went to 2 different stores, explained what I needed and both salespersons suggested the M-Audio Fast Track Pro (big seller, no returns, no problems). That's what I bought...Not suggesting it is an alternative to Firebox, but you should talk to sellers if you can, in addition to this (or other forums).
Good luck and let us know what you get!
-Rich

Well I'm planning to buy it either in store or an australian online store.
Hmmm yeah
I just know, if I buy it online I'll get it much cheaper, stores over here up the price so much its ridiculous. I'm thinking maybe to just go with the firebox as I've been recommended that one to be excellent. I just gotta go work a bit to get it.

Although the fast track pro seems to have everything I need as well, and is at least $200 cheaper here. What is the quality like in the fast track pro? The mic-pre's decent quality? Also, is it better to use firewire over usb?

So would you suggest I get this now and have $150 left, or should I go work 2 days to get the extra for the presonus firebox? Overall, what would be worth it?

Cheers

Last edited:
Okay,

So I checked out the Focusrite Saffire again, I can get it from the US for $457 with ATH-M20 Headphones.

You guys think this is just as good as the presonus firebox?
and it will work well with my iMac 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.5.6?

Or I just saw, I can buy it from a place here, for $468, and yeah I get warranty here which can save me the hassels of using warranty overseas.

Cheers guys, Please let me think soon as I want to make up my mind tomorrow.

Last edited:
HAHAHA
thanks for that.
I've already purchased it.
It was on sale, $460, they are usually $570 so I suppose it was a good choice.
It's got pretty good reviews as well, so let's see how it goes.

P.S. When I saw that someone replied I was hoping it was something positive... instead, awesome humour :O haha

Honestly, I have used Focurite in the past and really liked it. I think it will be a great investment and add a lot of flexibility. Good, solid company. I bet the pres are from the Green Line so they will be pretty transparent and will work well.

Ah I see!

Thats really great to hear!
Well I'll be picking it up on wednesday, it should be good!
:)
If this doesn't work for me, which shouldn't be the case, I can just sell it and get a firebox. I think this will be great though!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers

Yeah, you are all set. I just looked at the Saffire LE. Looks really good. It doesn't have the on board DSP but I don't really think you would need that anyway. Let me know how the bundled compressors and plug-ins work. Interested to see what Focusrite has done as far as software is concerned.

Yeah It looked good, I don't think I've ever bought something that fast without contemplating over and over again... I just made the decision and I'll see how it goes haha.

I'll be recording some originals I've been writing, they are all mainly acoustic/folk/alternative, so I'm hoping to get a real warm sound out of the Studio Projects B1 condenser I have on order. But yeah, I'll let you know how all the bundled plug-ins work.

Back