Ampex 342B bridging

quayhog

I have three Newly restored Altec 342B PA amps. I like to bridge the all amps together with only one working as as a power amp and mixer. There is no 600 ohm line out and these amps. I currently have all of the input transformers sockets filled with 4722 working independently. I have a variety of other values to choose from if we can bridge together.

Do any forum members have any suggestions for bridging together in my studio.

Jonathan Horne

I have one of these for my samplers, synths and drum machines as well as beatboxing and miking other things to take advantage of the 5% THD. Glorious bottom end in these babies, especially when they have low noise floor and are well tuned.

Anyway, I was told by the fella who sold it to me, it would be possible to take a pin from the 6cg7 and create an unbalanced line out.
I forget which pin but I'm sure some research will provide the necessary answer.
HOWEVER I have no idea if this is in fact a viable solution, and not one that will draw hum and other undesirables into rendering it a moot point.

Hope this is helpful in some capacity!

I have the scheme and I've studyied them during overhaul. Its going to be one of the grid terminals. There is an RCA input terminal. I'm just not sure what the PI output Z is. The schematic won't say. These amps are cheap (when needing work, tubes and robbed 4211) but they can be had for few shekels and be made to sound glorious. The most I've paid for a carcass was about a $100, the best one I found at a church bazaar with all its transformers and a broken 7027 for $35.00. I gave the Bazaar donation plate an extra twenty to ease the guilt. The channels were labled pulpit, choir loft, left hall, right hall.

Back