Yep, I'm a MIDI idiot

twincop

I have the M-Audio Omni Studio and I use Sonic Foundry Vegas (I just updated to 2.0). My drummer has a Roland V-club set with the TD-10 percussion sound module. How can I use MIDI to record the drum setup? When using a drum program or live drums I like to separate as follows: Kick, Snare, Hi-Hat, Toms, Floor Tom, Overheads L & R. Can I do this using MIDI to create separate audio tracks in Vegas? What equipment do I need to do this and how is it done? Any help is appreciated as I've been away from music and recording for eight years and recording using MIDI and a PC wasn't something we could do way back then. Thanks.

The correct term is MIDIOT ;)

I am a Midiot, but I do know this:

Your soundcard (M-Audio OmniStudio) AND your software (Vegas) BOTH have NO MIDI SUPPORT!!!! :eek:

Sonic Foundry's ACID Pro 3.0 does... (not sure about previous versions) Once you get your MIDI working, you can generate .wav files that can be used in Vegas. Cakewalk's Sonar and Steinberg's Cubase will do it all for you...

I'll leave it to those who aren't MIDIOTS to recommend hardware, but I'm pretty sure M-Audio has a number of devices that will get you there.

Queue

I don't use M-Audio, but i'm sure it functions like most other software recording.

Connect the V-drum's MIDI out into your computers MIDI in. Send the MIDI out from the computer either into the MIDI in on the V-Drum or thru a MIDI routing device.

You can then "record" a MIDI drum performance into your software - the software will then send the performance back to the TD10 module to "trigger" the actual sounds.

It is normally best to record only the MIDI (not the actual audio) up front, since you can then change drum sounds (different snare, etc) as the project progresses.

Figures. I actually have a version of Sonic Foundry ACID that I received with my CD burner so I'll mess with that. After looking, I'm thinking a Midiman Midisport interface. Anyone recommend that one? Thanks for the assist.

After posting I realized that Queue indicates your software does not have MIDI support. My previous post assumed you already had MIDI in and out on your system.

I'm very surprised to learn that Vegas does not accept MIDI (I don't use ACID type programs). If Queue is correct, you may be best to get ACID (since you already use a Sonic Foundry program).

There is a Sonic Foundry forum on this site - perhaps someone can give you info there.

Id definitely recommend the MidiSport.....of course if you use Vegas youll have to do the drum parts in a different program, but thats no biggie...like queue said, work out the drum part and then turn them into .wav files and drop them into Vegas.....

See, this is where my ignorance really shines. I already have the drum tracks I created with Fruity Loops. What I want to do is replace them with my drummer's "live" playing (it's a feel thing ya know) via MIDI. It sounds like with my current software, I won't be able to do that, because I'm not sure how he wouild play against what I've already recorded in Vegas. I'll probably jus use the audio outs on the drum module and record it that way. Thanks everyone for the help though.

It would be very good to record the drums as MIDI too. That way you can change the drum sounds at will if you don't like the high hats, for example... and you can change the tempo without worrying about audio artifacts...

Back