What's a step sequencer?

Forte

I don't have a keyboard so I've been using step-time entry; is that what step sequencing is? That's my hunch. I've been searching for info, but don't have anything positive to reaffirm my belief. I've found step sequencers, but none of them really tell me what they are exactly.

I have nTrack, and I've been using it's piano roll to enter all the MIDI information in (because, as I said, I don't have a keyboard; I'm just now getting into MIDI), but nTrack has limited editing capabilities. I'm trying out Cubase right now, but I find it rather complicated (though it's getting easier everyday). It's fussy when it comes to entering each note one by one. I'm guessing that's because I'm step sequencing and Cubase is not a step sequencer. Am I right?

I don't know about step sequencing, but have you considered a notation processor? I don't use a keyboard, but type in notes using Mozart - I find it quick and easy. This assumes you can read music of course.

Sarah

Cubase has one, but I like using the paino roll. I've heard great things about Sibelius though. :)
In anycase, I was reading through the Cubase manual and I found a chapter on "Step Recroding". I guess that's what they call step sequencing - or step-time entry? You have to click on come icon that looks like a foot - I was wondering what that does!

Forte said:
I don't have a keyboard so I've been using step-time entry; is that what step sequencing is?

Yep, you are correct. It sounds like you got it figured out. Step sequencing or Step Entry just means to input the midi data in, wait for it, steps.

The term Step Sequencer applies more to the first generation of hardware sequencers where Step Entry was the only way to make sequences.

Alright, cool. I guess I couldn't find it in the Cubase manual at first because they call it "step recording".

Anyway, notation programs are all well and good, but I like using the piano roll. Thanks anyway.

Back