Using MIDI out for Roland drum kit ?

sushi-mon

I have the TD-6 Roland drum module. I want to put down drum tracks using the MIDI out, so I can still modify all of the voices individually, i.e., instead of being stuck with a stereo output. At least I should be able to do this using Pro-Tools LE 7.0.

I am curious. Their is a virtual drum kit that comes with the M-box 2 factory bundle ignition pack, that contains sampled drum kits, and you can change room micing charateristics, mix, etc.

I should be able to put down my MIDI drum performance, and then use the virtual drum kit as my final "sound" ? Am I thinking correctly ?

I am kinda pysched about this idea. Being able to tweak my MIDI drum performance with this RTAS drum set. At least as long as it has better samples than my TD-6. Thoughts ?

sushi-mon said:
I have the TD-6 Roland drum module. I want to put down drum tracks using the MIDI out, so I can still modify all of the voices individually, i.e., instead of being stuck with a stereo output.

The notes that trigger the sounds in your Roland module will be recorded as MIDI if you connect MIDI out from the module into a MIDI converter connected to the computer to record the events into the sequencer. You can then use this MIDI info to trigger whatever sample is loaded for that MIDI note in the drum machine within Tools.

TD-6 MIDI OUT -> MIDI IN to Computer -> arm MIDI track for recording
-> thrash the skins (or rubbers as the case may be :) )
-> assign virtual drum machine as MIDI device for track just recorded
-> play around with note info to trigger appropriate samples
-> bask in the glow of the power of MIDI :cool:

Good luck!

Dags

Awesome ! I will be most likely getting the M-box 2 and definitely start to use the power of MIDI. I am pretty ignorant about those things, but not for much longer ! Thanks for the reply.

Sush

You will have BFD lite and sampletank to use from the bundle. They are lite versions but it should give you an idea of whats out there and how it works

Back