So i think i understand it, refresh me

ESPplayer7

ive read a bunch about midi and the only thing im stilled a little confused on is channels and banks. So a channel is used to send the info (has to correspond with the channel you pick in the sequencer) what is a bank for, still way lost

The bank is where you go to get money to buy your latest gadget. :)

Seriously, the MIDI patch change message contains a patch number, which ranges from 0 to 127. If your instrument has more than 128 patches, you need some way to select the additional patches. So the patches are grouped into banks. Then selecting a patch requires a bank select message followed by a patch change message.

A Google search on midi bank select message led me to this: http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec/bank.htm

MIDI is much easier to use than it is to understand and explain.

Don

Depends...

Just as a side comment:

DonF is right about the bank change messages...
BUT, you don't always need a bank change message to choose a patch on your synths...

Sometimes - Especially in older gear - bank change messages are not necessary because many of these older units won't have banks that require those messsages... But, they are definitely required in the newer gear as some instruments can have a 1000 patches or more...

Hope this helps...

Back