The same old question (midi-wav)

Leva

Hello All, I searched the forum and found a lot of threads re:converting midi to wav... I'm very-very new with this whole thing...so please don't get mad at me for asking the same question again.

Could someone please explain to me step by step what to do to make midi into audio using any one of the following: Cakewalk, Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, SoundForge.

THANKS!!!

You can convert MID to WAV in real time on your pc using any audio recorder, including even the miserable Windows Sound Recorder. Go to your audio properties and check "mixed output" in the recording options. Then click on the recording button, start playing your midi: hey, presto, that's all there is to it.

If you're using a multitrack recorder, you'll have to set the start and end of the recording; check the help file if you don't know how.

Sarah

I only explain to do generaly in Cakewalk / Sonar. Sound forge doesn't do this.

First, load your MIDI file in cakewalk. Add new audio track, set the input source from your sound card (eg. SB Live!, etc...). Go to kernell mixer (Bottom right hand in taskbar). Open the volume / play control. Select Options, Property, select Recording. Select the Recording source. If your MIDI device is an internal synth (Soundfonts, Microsoft synth, etc) select MIDI for the recording source. If your MIDI device is an external (keyboards, sound module, sampler, etc...) select LINE IN. Hook your external MIDI device's audio output to your LINE IN on sound card. Back to the sequencer, arm the track, and hit record button. Take few measure recorded and check if they set properly. Adjust the level, etc... Record what you want. Could be each track independent, or the whole tracks at once. Export the result to .wav file.
OR
Load your MIDI file in your external sequencer (could be your sequencer armed keyboard), set a new blank project in your audio application ware, and do the rest... Just make sure you record 'em through Line Input. Not Mic in.

There you go, an Audio-ed MIDI file...

BTW Sarah, if you use Microsoft sound recorder, it only record 60 secons.

James Argo said:
BTW Sarah, if you use Microsoft sound recorder, it only record 60 secons.

I don't, personally, but I know people who do.

There's an easy workaround: Record 60 minutes of silence, then copy-paste as many times as you want until you have a clip long enough for your recording. Then you record over the top.

Another prob with Microsoft recorder is that the recording quality defaults to radio quality every time you open the program. So you have to manually convert the file properties to CD quality every time you use it. All a bit too much trouble. Most soundcards come with some sort of simple sound sound recorder included in the bundled software, which you can use, and import the recording into your multitracker if need be.

I actually do quite a lot of midi to wav recording, as I busk as a classical singer using backing tracks. These days I use DirectMusic producer (free from Microsoft) which uses a soft synthesizer and .dls (downloadable sounds) patches. I've modified the given patches with converted soundfonts - much cheaper (i.e. free) than buying a new, soundfont-capable soundcard. I tried using Cubase, but for some reasons I was getting clicks all over my recordings, so I gave it up.

I don't know ANYONE else who uses DirectMusic for sequencing or recording. I spent about a month of sleepless nights trying to figure it out. I'll gladly share what I've learnt with anyone else on these forums, and pick the brains of anyone in the know!

Cheers.

Sarah

You're right Sarah, you can use this method. I just feel it's inefective. I'ts free anyway... Nothing to loose but time.:D

Back