Recording MIDI while in slave mode (?)

PPatrick

I have a Roland MC-50 mark II sequencer. I can slave it to a multi-track audio recorder, and have the multi-track play the sequencer (using MIDI clock/SPP). What I want to know is, can I record new MIDI tracks to the sequencer while in slave mode? As far as I can tell, I can't with the MC-50. Does anyone know if you can do this with other sequencers? The point is, I'd like to be able to overdub MIDI tracks to audio, rather than the other way around. Any suggestions? -------------- Patrick

You can record while in slave mode on a MC-50. The problem might be that the audio recorder is telling the sequencer to play and not record. You might be able to get around that by hitting record on the mc-50, and then starting the audio recorder.

Hope this works

William Underwood

I was wondering "cwillu", can you give me more details? Do you own the MC-50 (either mark 1 or mark 2)? Have you recorded in slave mode? You may be right --- I'm just wanting to know whether you really are sure about this or whether you're just guessing based on other equipment (?).

Yes, I own and use a MC-50 Mark I. With the MC set to slave mode (it says MIDI on the display), press record. Select the track you want it to record to on the MC50, and then start playback on the master sequencer.

I use the MC50 slaved to Cakewalk. I record the tracks on the MC50, and send them over to cakewalk at a later time (the computer is in a different room from the keyboards, I've got 4 40 foot midi cable runs between the computer and the sequencer, keyboards)

William Underwood

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'll try it out soon. What I want to do is to be able to slave my MC-50 to audio multi-track --- where I can create a tempo map ahead of time on the multi-track, and use that to add later overdubs to the MC-50. The manual made it seem like you could only play in slave mode, and my first experiments didn't work. But I think I was trying to record after starting it playing. -------- Thanks again.

Back