Recording live vs SS

East Villian

Right now, Im step sequencing. I know the alternate to recording live is MIDI, but Im thinking about taking the approach of live. I'm into mellow r&b/hip-hop, Ill most likely be using one of the Roland PC300s. Cubase, Cool Edit Pro 2, FLoops. My PC clock runs about 740 Mghz, 20 GB, 256 MB, Im looking into the Delta 44 card. Im sure that Ill be prepared with all of this, and in the future I hope to pickup one of the Roland XV3080s. Im still new, but Ive picked up on alot of new stuff & Im ready for the transition.

What are the advantages of recording live? disadvantages?

Vice versa with SS, Im here to listen & learn.

EV

I can't really answer your main question other than one major disadvantage of recording live is that if you mess up a note you're going to have to do it all over again, whereas with Midi it will hit that note for you and such.

I myself record live with my Roland JP-8080 through my Delta 44(i highly recommend this or other deltas) and I run into only one big problem which i mentioned before, but I am not taking the leap to midi til I get my XP-30, since i figure it'll be easier to do it then with a keyboard, and I have no real need to sequence my JP-8080 at the moment.

Back