Problem with sustain when recording keyboard

writerscramp

I'm using Cakewalk and a Technics to record midi.

When I play piano, I often lift my foot up during a sustain, instead of when I switch chords/notes. This makes the song less choppy. Works great on a piano or keyboard normally. However, when I'm recording midi on my keyboard and do this, even while I'm still holding the keys down, it totally cuts off the noise.

I know it sounds logical that the noise would stop, since I took my foot off the pedal for a sec, but it DOESN'T do this when I record midi with other people's software/keyboards. And, I can't seem to get myself not to do it, since I've been playing for years. Help!

So, here's the question: Does anyone know if the problem most likely lies with 1) my keyboard, 2) Cakewalk, or 3) my sustain pedal? (My lucky friends all have better keyboards, software and pedals, so I have no clue which is the problem.)

Thanks.

Taking your foot off the sustain pedal should not cause notes you're holding to stop. I'm not too familiar with Cakewalk, but it's hard to believe that it could have such a glaring defect. Same with the Technics keyboard. Could the problem be in your MIDI interface?

Back