Play MIDI files with better sounds ?

Newbee

Here's the deal: I am strictly a guitarist who would like to use MIDI files to create backing tracks and record music with.

I may just use certain tracks (drums, keys) from the MIDI files, but I was wondering how I could make them sound better, i.e. not using the standard sounds on a cheapo soundcard.

I suppose I have to re-route the MIDI information to another sound source, such as a virtual instrument, but would really appreciate if anybody could point me in the right direction - any tutorials, sites... would be more than welcome !

Doesn't matter if the info is Cakewalk (or whatever) specific - I haven't decided on a package yet, am still open to every one of them.

Thanks a lot in advance !!!

What's exactly your sequencer? (particular software can use decent softsynth like DXi on Sonar, and VSTi on Cubase, etc).

Your Soundcard? (If it's SB Live! or Audigy family, then you can use soundfonts)

Do you think you're gonna use external sound generator? (synth keyboard, sound module, etc)

;)
Jaymz

Thx for your reply, James. I currently have Sonar and an SB Live! (and an Audiophile 2496 on its way)... I guess that should get me on the way, but I haven't sold my soul yet to any particular piece of gear / software...

I can only tell you the way it's done in Cubase, but I guess there wouldn't be much difference in any other sequencer.
Once you have Cubase installed, there will be a folder called 'VST plugins'. Install the sound module here. You can download some good ones from the net for free btw. Then in Cubase click on >panels >vst instruments and chose whatever module you want.
That's basically it. :)

Back