Midi newbie

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
Is there a way to change the instruments through the controller???. I use SONAR with Hypercanvas loaded as Dxi. When I want to play drums instead of piano I have to go to the plugin en select the drums or what I want to. I´m totally new on this, I just received my used MK4902 midi controller, no manual. I see there are bank buttons that I intend to program with sounds, so everytime I press them I can load what I need without using Hypercanvas to select them. One midi cable is enough to comunicate the computer with the controller, so this can really control :D

Thanks
TS

When the midi spec was being formulated in the early 1980's they couldn't conceive of anyone having a use for more that 127 program change commands.

As midi matured it became obvious that this was nowhere near a large enough number, so they added 'bank select' commands to let you specify a bank of presets.

What this means to you, my son, is that those 'bank select' buttons on your Kaysound controller are useful but not for what you think --- there's not a way to set those up so that they address a particular instrument when pressed.

Until you get the program change numbers for your favorite instruments memorized you are going to have to go into Hypercanvas and select them.

And you're quite right that you only need one midi cable, especially with a controller keyboard with no sounds.

Back