MIDI Mapper Woes and New Midi Keyboard

Demenshia

I'm literally Just born yesterday when it comes to Midi. I saw someone else have Cubase and playing around with Midi and was quite impressed and figured it is something I would like to play with.

I went out and bout a USB M-Audio Radium 49 Keyboard, and Cubase SE. Windows XP SP1, (Removed SP2 because of further problems) plays Midi files.

I have a Envy24 Family Audio with WDM (Website says it's Midi capable) but here is where my problem is, My keyboard when i'm in Cubase I can see the keys being depressed, but no sound, and with Direct X Diagnostic Tool I get this information with tge DirectMusic Test:

Microsoft Synthesizer: I hear the MIDI file
Envy24 Family Audio (WDM): I hear the MIDI file
Microsoft MIDI Mapper (Emulated): I hear No Sound
Out USB Keystation (Emulated): I hear No Sound
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth (Emulated): I hear the MIDI File

After each it always says Click "OK" if you hear the sound, it doesn't give me any other option if I heard it or not.. :(

Microsoft Synthesizer for Default Port says "Yes" everything else says "No" from what little I can gather (I'm not sure what to look for) All says if a device takes the default port nothing else will make a sound. Is this true? and if so, is there a way to get around this? I would sure love to use this keyboard and software otherwise it's $300 down the drain as neither can be returned due to the software return policies.

Also of note, if it matters.. I read that a USB port cannot handle larger then a 256 byte block at a time, so I downloaded a Midi diagnostic tool and it has the blocks set @ 256 so I guess those are alright *shrug*

I would be very appreciative of any help,

Thanks for taking time to read this.

-D-

The Radium is a MIDI controller. It has a MIDI interface, which can be used to send out MIDI data to other devices, but no MIDI sound-orducing hardware of its own. That's why it only lists for less that $200. It's for playing softsynths hosted on a computer (via its USB connection) or external synths (via its MIDI Out port).

So if you are sending messages to the MIDI Out port and hear no sound, I suspect it's because those MIDI messages have nowhere to go, since you have not listed any external MIDI instruments.

Thanks for the Reply. You are right I should have seen that I need a Input, where I only see a Output for the Keyboard. I'm hoping to have the solution solved another way and put a order into Sweetwater music tonight for the Emu 0404 and use the direct Midi interface of the card via Midi cable with the Keyboard. Guy upstairs has the Emu 1212 and if he could set it up, then *anybody* can :)

Can't wait to get started playing with this thing :) Perhaps someday I can make everyone grit their teeth in screeching horror as they see how badly I can play sometime.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the problem you're having is that you need some kind of soundSOURCE for the MIDI information to go to. The E-mu 0404 is just another, albeit better, soundcard with integrated MIDI I/O. It doesn't make any sounds either.

You indicated that you are able to trigger the internal MIDI synths in your computer playing back a MIDI file. (At least I think that's what you were doing), you should be able to play them with your keyboard if you set it up correctly.

I don't know Cubase at all. I use SONAR. If it's like SONAR, it should have some bundled softsynths in it. If not, there are lots of VSTi's out there many, of them free (these are 'virtual' instruments that reside in your computer)! You can go to KVR to find all kinds of different plug-ins (as they're called).

In SONAR, you must fist configure the software to use your MIDI interface, I'm sure Cubase does something similar.

If you don't want to go the soft-synth route, you will need to buy some kind of hardware MIDI module or keyboard with MIDI I/O on it.

Hope this makes some sense.

Ted

I understand what you're saying, and I've tried everything in setup, with Cubase etc... It does come with Vst of it's own, and I can get those to make sounds but not with my Keyboard. Something is haywire somewhere I don't know if it's the USB input or what.

the EMU 0404 I ordered I will hook the Keyboard up via Midi cable instead of USB and see if that solves any problems.

Windows XP tells me I have a Output for the keyboard but no Input, and that has to be where the problem resides, i'm hoping the EMU can either help resolve this problem or with it's setup documentation resolve some light on the issue(s).

Thanks for the Reply i'm trying every suggestion that comes my way :)

Keith

the EMU 0404 I ordered I will hook the Keyboard up via Midi cable instead of USB and see if that solves any problems.

Demenshia, you seem to be missing the key issue here. The keyboard that you have does not have a MIDI In since it also has no capactity for making any sounds at all. It is a MIDI controller that creates and outputs MIDI messages only.

The output for the keyboard you see is actually the output of its MIDI interface.

Demenshia said:
I understand what you're saying, and I've tried everything in setup, with Cubase etc... It does come with Vst of it's own, and I can get those to make sounds but not with my Keyboard. Something is haywire somewhere I don't know if it's the USB input or what.

Keith

Uh, no, you DON'T understand what I'm saying apparently.

From what you're describing, everything is working fine. The problem is that you DON'T HAVE AN EXTERNAL SOUND SOURCE. You need a synth for your keyboard to control.

Ted

I got my EMU today, they sent me the 1212 instead of the 0404 at the 0404 price. Hooked it up and the Keyboard *does* work, problem solved. Next project is to get a mixer board to plug my guitar into and i'm set.

Well, either you and the rest of us are in different universes, you in one where Robben Ford played with Jean-Luc Ponty and the Radium has on-board sounds, and us where he didn't and it doesn't... or else your original description of your problem was totally inside out and mis-described...

Since it works, I thought Cubase was my "Soft-synth"? .. the Keyboard worked on the setup that the guy has upstairs from me, so I bought the same brand soundcard he had. When I got the card(s) put in my Midi Mapper enabled.

In the Past I have played with cubase with no midi keyboard what so ever, and got sound simply by playing in it with a mouse. So the VST lib's with it are my sounds.

Perhaps in your universe programs don't include that either? .. I maybe a new person to Midi, but don't need to be flamed like a fool.

I reported my problem as windows displayed it, simple as that.

But you were describing trying to get sounds out of the Radium's MIDI Out port, with no external sound module attached to it, as far as I could tell. Changing sound cards could not have changed the fact that there was no external device there to play.

If course if you have Cubase and a soft synth for it to host, you have a MIDI instrument -- an internal one. In my universe, too.

I just hope that you understand that you didn't really figure out what weaas wrong and corect it, thereby gaining dome understanding of the subject -- you flailed and found something that worked, and so you still don't understand the subject, and are sure to be dogged by similar issues in the future.

As stated in my original message I tried it with Cubase, the problem was the Midi Mapper was non existant under properties of the DirectX diagnostic tool, soon as I put in the EMU soundcard it turned back on, problem solved.

I understood perfectly well it was a Midi Controller, as it had no speakers. If I had the money I would have gone for something great like a Korg, but being this is my first foray into Keyboards I picked the Radium 49 and at a later time perhaps something better.

I'm trying to figure out where everyone's malfunction is? .. Does your superior feeling make you think i'm wrong.. yet it WORKS? .. did I mention up in a previous post that it now WORKS? .. they say 90% of people do not read everything, and it is more then obvious here, the simple fact I put that card into the PC my Midi Mapper Enabled, which I said was seeming to be the problem.

I did say I had Cubase as well, in my previous post. I don't understand all your failures in seeing the problem is solved. I still don't get it??

Too many of you here have not gotten it and still don't understand what the word "WORKS" means.

I'm done with this thread, as your too damn dense to get the concept at how easy the problem was solved by that card.

Back