MIDI issues

mperdicho

Hi, Mark here. Just got X1 recently because Guitar tracks Pro didn't run with Win7. I love it so far but I'm having two specific problems that are making me a little nuts. I'm not MIDI master by any stretch but I've got two programs that have made it easier to deal with. A free program called MIDI player that plays MIDI files and I use an old Casio CTK 900 as a controller. Cheap, I know but I'm a guitarist and tend not to use keys too often. I also use Music Write Maestro partly because I'm a teacher and it makes for better study materials and because it will convert any file into MIDI format which I can then shunt through my MIDI player to my controller.

My first problem is that when I set up a soft synth in X1, there is a short delay between key press on the controller and the output sound. (The same is true with MIDI sent from my drum machine, a DR-660) Very disconcerting and renders it unable to use for live recording. Is this an X1 setting issue or is it a hardware issue? I'm using the M-Audio MIDISport 2x2 as my in/out device.

The other problem I'm having is a bit more complex but with the synth and MIDI options in X1, I thought I'd try to get a more layered track by adding some keys and synths to my older tracks. I want to import a MIDI track and have one of the soft synths play it back but I guess I just don't have something set right. This is a huge topic and it might be more than I should ask about but I'd really like to stretch a little since the X1 offers so much more than I'm used to with GT Pro.

I'm not a MIDI newbie but my knowledge is just enough to completely frustrate me when it doesn't work right. I would appreciate any help I can get. I really want to take as much advantage of X1 as I can to get more out of my recordings.

Thanks so much.

Try MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke for Windows MIDI routing.

Do you mean Traktor X1 or Sonar X1?

If the latency is in Sonar try turning off other apps and programs to free up RAM. Make sure your samples are on the same drive as Sonar. You can also decrease buffers to increase speed but if you go too far you will have dropouts.

What audio interface are you using? Use ASIO drivers for better performance.

-i think this is just the disadvantage in using MIDI at all. Latency! MIDI protocol is so slow that some notes already exceed the human ear's tolerance for jitter. This currently is (again) a big discussion in some forums, so I learned a lot aoubt that. Pushing data through windows PCs is still worse for jitter. The recommend a patched linux system to go with USB MIDI for best performance. Anothe guy built his own MIDI: Enhanced MIDI protocol for higher transmission rates and lower latency

Are you using the onboard soundcard????

If so THAT'S your problem, not midi.

I would say this is more like it than a MIDI issue since the data is so small.

When people were using dedicated MIDI hardware (sound modules for example) on stage, routing, etc. It was the same data being pushed, but the hardware was more responsive. Otherwise, MIDI would have never taken off.

My money is on the onboard soundcard as being the problem as well.

I can replicate it by directing midi to microsoft midi mapper instead of the interface or an external module.

Definitely not a midi problem. I don't know what your interface is set at. Not enough information for me to help you.

Back