MIDI for Hughes and Kettner/ SE-50 - basic help need

pure.fusion

Hi all,

I need some general knowledge help for controlling my Hughes and Kettner valve amp and my (ancient) Roland SE-50 effects processor by MIDI. The amp has a MIDI in port and a "learn" button and will let you control clean/crunch/lead channel, the power soak level, reverb, effects loop. The SE-50 has, well, a whole bunch of stuff which is pretty scary but I just want to select a handful of predefined patches.

The foot switch (for both of these products) is really not what I need since it's for studio use and I'm in front of my PC, so Ideally I would use software for this. My Scarlette 2i4 external sound device has a MIDI output.

The thing I need to know is whether the amp and effects unit force you to use their pedal boards (having some specific standard for themselves), or can I actually achieve what I'm aiming to do with my PC?

Any help appreciated at this early stage.

Cheers,
FM

I have an SE-50 and an SE-70. The most convenient way I found to select between several patches is to use the Number Shift (I think) 1/4" jack. You can set a range of patches and it will loop through just those. You could rig a simple momentary switch to a 1/4" plug to advance through the range.

But you may want to control the amp together with the processor, so MIDI is the way to go. I'm not sure if I still have the documentation for the SE-50, but somewhere I think I have it for the SE-70. Finding it could be tricky.

But you may want to control the amp together with the processor, so MIDI is the way to go

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I guess this was the thing I had in mind; send some MIDI info and have the amp and SE-50 change. I figured MIDI out of the sound card to MIDI in of the SE-50 and then MIDI out of the SE-50 to MIDI in of the AMP.

I have the documentation of the SE-50 (Search "boss pro se 50 manual" in google if you want it) and I read through it. I understand the theory, in that you can send notes, or commands or whatever. It's the practical element I'm missing, like what software and *how* do I send commands rather than notes etc.

Back