MIDI guitar

osion

Hello,
Right now I have a MIDI setup but only with a keyboard. I have a keyboard connected to my audiophile 2496 soundcard and then a bunch of softsynths. I am a better guitar player than keyboard player so I figured I should use a guitar from now on for my MIDI rather than a keyboard. My question is what do I need to buy to be able to do this? Suggestions and price estimations for equipment are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

There are several ppl that still make them. The big one is the roland GR pickup which is a retrofit for any guitar and they run about 600$. You could also look for older Yamaha G10's or other tailor made midi guitars

Hi altitude 909,

In general, all I need is a MIDI guitar to make this work? Like the MIDI guitar has outlets for the IN and OUT MIDI cables that I could just plug the cables into it and my computer and the guitar would be a MIDI controller just like my keyboard that I could play with all my soft synths?

By the way, would you happen to know anything about this guitar:
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=53400&sourcetype=singleitemsearch

Its a roland ready stratocaster. I'll go visit sam ashe some day and check it out.

You need the guitar and the brain. The brain has midi in/out and the guitar connects to it via a special cable.

Cant help you with the guitar though

If you want to go ultra cheap search online for a GVox midi guitar set up. It has a bolt/suction on midi pick up, a brain &, here's the best bit, only runs on W95. I have one, a gift, & have set it up with an old PC but haven't spent any time with it so don't know what it's capable of.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went to sam ashe today and the only MIDI interface (brain) they have is the Roland GI-20 for $395. Any of you guys happen to have experience with it?

Any other brains you guys would recommend checking out?

rayc, i don't have any W95 machines anymore. Maybe I should have held on to them :)

sikter, Thanks for the link, The AXON AX 100 MKII looks great. Costs 700 dollars. I guess I could splurge for it but if there's a quality unit thats cheaper that would be good also.

Back