I finally got my MPD16 to work, now it crashes my computer

Abstrak

Yes!

It finally works with reason 3.0 the way i want it to.

But now a problem persists.

The MPD16 crashes.

I posted a thread on a nother forum about how my computer was restarting randomly, and they told me to set it to show the blue screen instead of restarting.

I tried that and it sayd that my MPD16USB.sys file was causing it to crash.

Im using the MPD16USB.sys from the akaipro site.

Abstrak said:
Yes!

It finally works with reason 3.0 the way i want it to.

But now a problem persists.

The MPD16 crashes.

I posted a thread on a nother forum about how my computer was restarting randomly, and they told me to set it to show the blue screen instead of restarting.

I tried that and it sayd that my MPD16USB.sys file was causing it to crash.

Im using the MPD16USB.sys from the akaipro site.

Unplug the device

Uninstall the device, in the windows "system" dialog

Reboot

and then Reinstall the drivers (from the driver's executable file) (hopefully they're setup that way)..

Turn off computer

Plug in device

Turn computer on

When windows "finds new hardware", let it search (sometimes this won't even ask)...

Edit: forgot something

This is not just you.

I have the exact same problem now and I had the exact problem on my old computer with another MPD-16.

My solution: Just unplug it when not in use. It only eats it when idling for a while and I have yet to see it crash when in use. I am going to bitch to Akai today since the drivers have yet to have an update

do you know if the mpd16 works well with os x? I've heard horror stories, but since its so cheap now its hard to pass up. I heard the trigger finger works well in os x but not as good pads and is 100 more!

I had the same problem and now used my MPD16 with FL Studio through the MIDI connection of a installed M-Audio Delta 1010LT. Buy a 9V adaptor power supply with the right connector (take it in the store) at Radio Shack for $20.

I talked the service support at AKAI and they said that there software engineers are working on it. I now only use my M-audio KeyS 88es through USB.

heres the response from Akai support:

I have found that this problem happens with some computers and am currently trying to establish a pattern. Some people have been able to buy USB cards for their computers and seen this problem fixed but others have seen not fix short of using another computer. My best advice is to only use the USB connection to edit the note settings and use a power adaptor and the midi connection of a midi interface to get the MPD16 to send midi to your computer.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got an MPD16 and am experiencing the blue screen errors (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MPD16USB.sys, etc.)

Has there been any further word from Akai on this? Any new drivers (I didn't seen any on their site)? I'd like to avoid the power adapter solution if possible... Let me know. Thanks!

J

maryslittlesecret said:
I'd like to avoid the power adapter solution if possible.
Instead of 'reviving an old thread' why not start your own? It's free.

And why exactly don't you want to use an external adapter? The 'blue screen of death' is a serious thing to see on a home computer --- or any computer for that matter.

Using an external adapter rather than having the device draw power from the computer over USB is the recommended solution according to the manufacturer and if I were you I'd follow their advice. A Radio Shack adapter costs $20.

Thanks for the response, ssscientest. On most boards, if someone posts a new thread when there's an existing one on the same topic, they get assaulted for not searching the forum. Figured this was the lesser of two evils...

And the adapter thing is just a personal hangup. Dropping an extra $20 and adding another 'wall wart' to my already full power strip to fix a product that doesn't work 'as advertised' is annoying to me. But yes, if that's the only solution, it's better than constant OS crashes.

You're right.

And I can't think of anything else that I'd want to do LESS of to my music computer than pair it up with a balky piece of hardware.

As to your decision --- different BBS's, different rules and conventions I guess. It's all good.

Back