How to prevent latency issues?? Windows + 2488

soundchaser59

Reluctant Commander
I have a MOTU usb midi interface, a Emu 1212 pci soundcard with midi in and midi out jacks, a Yamaha KX88 controller keyboard, a 2488 recorder, and a handful of synths, drum machine, and fx units.

It is conceivable that at any given time on any given song (on any given Sunday??) I will need to do all of these things at the same time:

slave the Windows-based sequencer to the 2488 MTC, so that the sequencer stops and starts whenever I stop and start the 2488; have the sequencer playing back existing midi tracks and controlling synths, fx, 2488 mixer, patch changes, etc; have the sequencer recording a new track as I play the KX88 piano; (not recording audio on the computer, only midi -- all audio is recorded on the 2488)

I am concerned about minimizing or completely preventing latency issues, especially when I have KX88 piano playing and 2488 midi time code both going into the sequencer at the same time. I will need to synch to the 2488 and record piano playing at the same time. I am not accustomed to these questions because the Atari 1040 (which just died on me a couple weeks ago) had a built in midi interface with multiple ports, which means I have never had any contact with latency issues at all in the past.

What should I connect to the sound card midi IN? The 2488 synch? Or the KX88 piano? Am I more likely to have latency issues by running into the usb MOTU interface midi inputs?? Should I use the sound card midi out jack for anything? Like controlling the 2488 mixer? Or should I do everything thru the MOTU interface??

I will eventually figure it out, but if anybody has the answer handy, I would appreciate the time saving advice!
Thanks! - SC

Problem I have now is this: I need 3 things to work at the same time, (1)play and record midi piano; (2)synch/slave to midi from the 2488; and (3)auto-locate with midi when I locate or FF on the 2488. So far, I have only been able to do two of those things.

If I set the sequencer to run on MTC, then I get synch and I can auto-locate correctly, but it wont let me play the piano.

If I set the sequencer to run on external clock, then I get synch (but only from the beginning) and I can play the piano ok, but it wont auto-locate correctly.

Doesn't seem to matter which port I use for synch in or keyboard in.

It SHOULD work, I know the 2488 midi clock is spitting out clock and song pointer because auto-locate worked perfectly with the Atari and the Hybrid Arts sequencer. I cant find any settings in this sequencer (Master Tracks Pro) other than Internal, External, or MTC. The manual says it will respond to song pointer and will autolocate.

Oddly, if I use the midi IN jacks on the soundcard, then I can either play the piano OR synch the sequencer, but not both. I woulda thought the midi jack on the sound card would be the most likely one to work correctly.

The sequencer recognizes all the ports on the MOTU, as well as the port on the soundcard, and they all show up in the list of choices whenever I go to assign any midi in or out. I would think any sequencer that can read and write SMPTE should be able to handle clock and song pointer without batting an eye. I suspect this is a MOTU Micro Lite issue. We shall see.....

Back