erasure

SalJustSal

I heard the guy from erasure hates midi with a passion. If he buys an instrument with midi in it, he'll cut the jacks out of the instrument. If anyone says midi during recording, they have to pay a quarter.

-Sal

What a dickhead!!!!!!!

Midi is like many other equipment: you can use it a bad way or you can use it creative. I can't starting to tell all the advantages of midi, it would make me go to far, and I don't feel like debating with guys, no offense to you Sal, like that.

>I heard the guy from erasure hates midi with a passion

Even if you believe that, remember that knowledge of your enemy will be an important asset to have when you do battle.

On the other hand, it's even more important to form your beliefs (at least about recording hardware and software) based on more than second hand conjecture.

U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft believes that Calico cats are signs of the devil!

Clarke

Yes, Clarke of Erasure did say it. I have an interview with him. But I don't necessarily agree with him. Midi has advantages and drawbacks as just about everything else. I mainly use it to trigger other programs (like the Reason synth) but don't know much more than beyond that (such as syncing, etc.)

He said that back in the days of the chorus album. There was a couple of interview back then where he said that. Future Music and Keyboard, somewhere around 91. I have them at home.

this album was done in that style on purpose, no poly synths, no midi, no samplers, just what he used back in the Yazoo days all monosynths...

He uses some midi now, he still prefers his BBC Micro computer but has been using a mac and logic, reluctantly while working on their new covers album with Gareth jones. He even uses some samplers now. He usually programs the micro from a Roland MC-4 or 8, and has several analogue sequencers that still are used prominently ...

article

I found the interview in a book called Electro Shock! (bad title, good book, tells what a lot of "major" artists use for equipment), but this interview was compiled from Keyboard, September 1994 by Robert L. Doerschuk.

Haven't heard too much of Clarke's work myself, but I found it humorous that he'd go out of his way to remove MIDI installations on his equipment just because he hated it so bad. Hmm... a little centric maybe.

-Sal

Back