A better sequencer

Emusic said:
Cubase is a brilliant sequencer (my choice)
Logic has a steep learning curve and is Mac only but is said to be great
Sonar is great
ProTools is a hardware/software package that is somewhat weaker on midi but the 6.7 version coming soon is said to be stronger on midi.

LOGIC IS AWESOME!!! hehehe I love using Logic for MIDI, however it's like $800 or something, and the newest versions only work with mac, but it's sooooo cool! You get a bunch of shit with it (an awesome sampler, some cool synths, some electric pianos etc) and it gives you a bunch of different editing options from a score editor, to a piano roll (Matrix editor it's called), and like 10 others. It does audio too, but not very well. If you have the money, or can find a cheaper version somewhere I would jump on it. It does have a pretty steep learning curve but once you learn the basics everything starts to fall into place.

Pro Tools 6.7 still isn't very good with the MIDI. It's ok, but I would use almost anything else before I used Pro Tools MIDI (maybe not, because that is what I do use now...hmmm...I don't like it though, when I can afford Logic I'll be getting that).

Haven't used many of the other programs, but I'm sure they do the trick.

Wow....haha. I havent been watching this one.....been too busy playing the quantize game from the master controller...

Thanks manning1. Ill take a look at powertracks tonight. Im pretty happy with Vegas as far as my 'digital tape' goes....but the price is right, as id just be using it for a drum machine.

If not, I am about ready to put my d/a needs on hiatus for a while and just go get a set of pads...ha. Of course, then I would have about a years worth of drum tracks that sound like theyre being banged out by a five year old....but hey, ya lose some.. :D

Oh yeah.....and thanks, wakeupbomb....but I think Logic is overkill for me. Besides, im pretty partial to my amd64 for tracking. :)

Did they ever make a demo for Logic PC? I would definitely be willing to check it out.

(nm...I see there was no demo. well theres always the random good deal)

I don't know if Logic ever had a PC demo or not....hmmm...that's a good question.

I know that before Logic 6 the full program was offered on PC, but right before 6 came out Apple bought Emagic (the manufacturer of Logic) and turned it into a Mac only application. If you can find a copy of Logic 5 or below you'd be golden. It's a little old (probably 2 years or so) but I'm sure it would work fine.

Thanks for the reply.....long post time... :D

Yeah....5.51 was the last version and they never made a demo.

They actually have an update on the site that is a full installer for 5.51 PC.....but I would need their dongle to run it.....anyway...

Let me specify what im used to....since you are a Logic fan, maybe you can compare. I would be willing to spring for a used copy. Im a picky bastard....and I have SCOURED various forums looking a program that is capable of pulling this off standalone.

Gotta host a VSTi...just one. BFD needs programming....everything else is controller material.

I would like it to render to .wav. Considering BFD can have multiple outputs, I need to be able to render each output to a seperate file. I dont really need a mixer.....that will be done elsewhere.

Ok so the number of sequencers that do that borders infinity.....heres the hard part...with some background....

BOSS takes the drum programming award IMHO. You have 3 sections.....a pattern editor, a song editor, and a time/tempo map. You make your loops in the pattern editor and you arrange them in the song editor.....kids stuff. The real winner here that I havent been able to find in ANY software sequencer is the fact that the song itself doesnt carry a specific time/tempo.

Let me give this unrealistic example that a BOSS unit can pull off. You have this song of epic length...4 measures of 3/4@120bpm, 1 measure of 3/8@11bpm, 8 measures of 7/8@120bpm.
You go into the pattern editor, dial the time to 3/4, hit the step sequencer, dial out the pattern name, dial the tempo to 120, dial out the pattern...then repeat for the others with appropriate time/tempo. .
Hit the song editor, dial up the name, dial up 4 blocks of the 3/4, 1 block of the 3/8, then 8 blocks of the 7/8.
Pull up the time/tempo map, dial up meas 1 to 3/4@120, meas 5 to 3/8@11, and meas 6 to 7/8@120.

Fantastic. I now I can plug in the midi, put the track on any VSTi host/editor in the universe, and add vel/timing randomization to my hearts content. The major downfall lies in my copious use of the word 'dial'....

So thats about what im looking for. Hell, I could even dig something like Reason's Redrum module....except that it wont load a VSTi or automate tempo.

So with that said, how's Logic? :D
Am I doomed to carpal tunnel, courtesy of the infamous dial?
Or is total insanity, courtesy of quantize, on the menu this evening?
haha

Thanks again

Last edited:
Oh and thanks again for the reccomendation manning1, but PT doesnt seem to be quite what im looking for.

Perhaps I just wasnt looking deep enough...can I run in a similar fashion to my previous post?

Maybe its just stigma from that other software that bears the PT initials alongside their (effectively) $1400 MIDI card...haha. :D

trmnl. i dont know what your asking.
could you elucidate ?
powertracks doesnt need a 1400 buck midi interface.
just an inexpensive midi in and out will do the job.

I bought a midi connector from Radio Shack and got PT free with it. $39. Not a bad seqeuncer at all, but I use Sonar.

Last edited:
manning1, have a look at my last post on the first page.....that should describe what im looking for pretty well.

I already have a controller....just want a drum machine that I can use with a mouse instead of a dial.

Thanks

(oh sorry...just got the post...hah. jokes. the $1400 midi interface I was referring to was the Pro Tools hardware when you wanna use different dac/adc units.)

Last edited:
Ok guys....I appreciate all the help. I think I found (about) what I was was looking for.

Surprise.....its the newest version of what I use already....haha.
Synapse Orion. So much for the effort :D

If anyone is interested, its got a pattern-based step sequencer (piano roll) and a pattern-based song editor. Same thing as before except now there is a tempo editor. You can even draw out curves for the slowdowns.

The only thing I dont like is that you cannot switch time without compensating your tempo/measure length. I cant really complain.....it just looks odd on the song editor.

Now that I have made the direct comparison im sure someone will tell me that there are ten dozen pieces of software out there that do exactly this and I just didnt know what to ask for. It wouldnt surprise me in the least....just know that I work as a network analyst so I inherently think computers are slightly more evil than hell, satan, and dahmer combined. I try to dip into it as little as possible....except when I find a little niche area that interests me. :)

Thanks again.

Back