What do you think of the NT-1?

Mealz

I have just bought an NT-1 and I like it (my first condenser). I'm wondering what you think of it and what would be a good mic to buy next to complement it.

I am mainly recording piano, vocals and guitar.

Also I would like your opinion on what should be the next thing I buy to improve the quality.

Equipment

Mics:
Rode NT1
Behringer XM8500
couple other dynamics

little Behringer 602A mixer
and SBlive Platinum with yamaha speakers.
Athlon XP 1.6ghz 256meg ram (ddr)
Cubase VST 32
All effects processed on pc

Thankyou in advance.

I have an NT-1. It works well on certain things. I like it on acoustic guitars and some singers. It's a useable mic. It gets a bad rap from some, so don't be surprised if people jump in knocking it.

If your recording this all yourself, a better soundcard and/or a stand-alone pre-amp might be your next step up for sonic improvement.

Thankyou very much for your advice ( I need every bit of it i can get) I'm 15 and just starting out so I need every bit of advice I can get.

What sort of sound card would you recommed (for someone who only makes money in school holidays)?
4 in maybe?

Thanks I will look into that card.

Has anybody actually used or have a sblive platinum?
I am using the line in 2 input on the live! drive that is a lot better than the normal line on the back of the card. I dont seem to have too much noise. Do you know how much less noise or whateva I will get?

I also use the hacked APS drivers (audio production studio drivers) that was made for a card costing more than double mine. It has a great mixer and asio support. flexible routing to the 3 outs.

mealz, The NT1 will sound better IMHO if you get a better microphone pre as the pre's in the Behringer sound quite
harsh to my ear (I have an 802a mixer).
A nice tube mic pre as a general rule would help the NT1 sound
smoother. Studio Projects is coming out with the VTB-1 tube mic
pre, their website is www.studioprojectsusa.com
That would be worth trying out before considering it's purchase,
a lot of dealers have a generous return policy if you don't like it
and want to return it for your money back (make sure though!).
My guestimate is that the "street price" wil run about $225 or so.

P.S. I had a NT1 and sold it on e-bay to get another mike.
It certainly seemed capable of producing quality vocals
though.....

Mealz - i guess it depends on how you look at money. I would ask myself this question -

How big is $300 to me?

It always seems to me with homerecording....that most of the stuff I want ends up somewhere AROUND this range...so...200-500 range..really.

The things you would want to look at upgrading - soundcard as mentioned, mic pres as mentioned...getting more mics..etc.

So - is it really worth it? Like you said, you are 15 - do you have a lot of serious projects going. IMHO - you are better off not getting too gear hungry at this point...becuase you probably can't afford it. Spend your money wisely. (and cash in on those birthday and christmas presents).

The NT1 is a fine mic...and there is plenty you can do with what you have. ESP in terms of piano..guitar..vocals. Read some info on what mics to use for which occasion...there is a good thread in this Mic forum that harvey gave some great info in. it's called "How does polar pattern effect which mic to use" - or something.

I say all that to say that knowledge..not gear is really going to be the difference in a good recording and a crappy one. Say you've got three years to really hone your skills and learn how to be resourceful with the gear you have - and then when you turn 18..you can probably afford to start buying some nicer stuff...but you will really appreciate it..and know how to use it. ya dig?

Anyways...gear you might want to look at..or ask for as presents:

Soundcards: Midiman Audiophile 24/96, Mia, Delta44 or Delta66...

Preamps: Midiman Audiobuddy...the Studio Projects tube thing.

Mics: Check out the cheap Behringer ECM8000 Omnidirectionals. there is a lot of info about those on this board as well. For 70 dollars you get a pair of full capable omnis that would probably be a great learning tool for you. And would probably do great things with your piano (also get you into "matched" pair stereo miking)

Other: Maybe get a cheap keyboard with a MIDI interface, so you could start learning MIDI programming/gigasampler...stuff like that. If you are a keyboard player i bet you could do a lot with a little cheapo.

Monitor Speakers: This can get expensive fast (500-1,000/pair) range...but, in time you will find them essential. I'm sure your yamahas will be great for you for a while. heck, if you can get good mixes out of them maybe forever.

Pick your software and learn to be fast with it - hang out on these boards and learn all that you can. later

-Wes

Back