vocal distortion

LI Slim

I'm recording my vocals with an AT4047 plugged into my Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 box (which has a preamp with phantom power built in). When I belt out the high notes I'm getting distortion -- even though I'm not clipping. Backing off the mic helps (say, moving back from 12 inches to 18 inches), but those loud high notes still don't have the clarity of the rest of the vocal.

What is causing this? Did I blow out the mic or something? Could it be the preamp? What do you think?

The only thing I can guess is that you have a really loud voice. Wow, wish I had your pipes. You should try engaging the pad (there's a switch on teh 4047 somewhere that says -[some number], switch that, and see if it fixes your problem. you may just be hitting the threshold of possible SPL for the mic or something. To get those quieter notes up, use a compressor.

thanks for the suggestion, Charger..... I think what I really need most is better vocal control.... Yes, the mic has a -10db switch, which I do intend to try.

don't know...

How good of a mic that is. I used an inherited mic once and had the same problem. No clipping, but the signal was distorted by the mic.

Now I use better mics! Maybe this mic has had it. And... well just because you said it was on the high notes, it may be strictly due to the volume, and you may want to practice the vocal control more. It's a natural tendancy to give more volume the higher you go, and it'd probably be a good idea to remedy it. It's seldom mentioned but easily noticable. (that's why compressors are used so much). Consistant volume while epressin' yourself can be tough.

Yeah, sometimes when you see a singer live you will notice that they constantly back away from, and move closer to the mic, depending on what range they're singing in. Also, really good karaoke singers do the same thing, moving the mic distance a great deal while they sing. Reason is, they know when they're pushing more or less air. Now, this may not be necessary in a huge stadium where the sound is tightly compressed and controlled, but it is a habit a lot fo singers pick up and use all the time.

What excellant advise on mike ettiquite!Notice how all the "pros" do this careful distancing from the mike depending on the SPLs they emit.Then notice how almost nobody else even bothers!(hello compressor...)
Hi Larry.my quick tip is to be sensative to how much squeezing your diaphragm is doing,the band of horizontal muscles just under the ribs.Then back off the mike from those gut-bustin high notes just before you let 'er rip.
Just for grins,hang a kleenex by tape from the mike and it will give you a graphic of the SPLs at various pitches and deliveries.Technique beats technical workarounds,so try that before resorting to squishing your tone with a compressor.

Tom

A lot of novices and guys in videos do it badly as a sort of performance gimmick, for a dynamic mic used live the distances should probably vary between about 1/2" for really quiet pieces to 8" for REALLY loud ones. The guys that you see pulling the mic away to arms length are full of sh*t. For a condenser in the studio the distances can be greater.

yeah....

I was mostly meaning to try and get the same volume without using a mic at all, just naturally. Although moving the mic does help. I find it especially hard to do that naturally at times.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have had success pulling back from the mic, as much as an additional foot. My only problem with that is that I'm recording in a fairly live room and pulling back like that creates additional room reverb!

Back