Two mics into a single channel?

Bassman Brad

O.K. First of all, I do realize that this is a home recording web site, and that my question mostly pertains to live applications. But, this is where I usually hang out. And, besides, this question might have some relevance to recording applications, as well (although none come immediately to mind). Anyway, here goes.

My situation is this. For live use, I use a Shure Beta 58 into a dbx ProVocal channel strip. In addition to playing bass most of the time and acoustic guitar part of the time, I am considering adding some keyboards to some of our songs. This will require that I set up another Beta 58 in front of my keyboard rig, so that I can sing while I’m playing keys. I already have some patches in the ProVocal that I’m happy with, and don’t want to buy a whole ‘nother channel strip just to process my vocals when I’m singing with a keyboard in front of me. I want to put BOTH Beta 58's into the same ProVocal channel strip, so that I have the exact same signal processing going on, whether I am standing in front of the keyboards or if I’m singing while holding a bass or guitar in my hands.

So, my question is, what is the best way to accomplish this? I’m aware that there are devices called “splitters” which will “mult” a signal so that it goes to two places simultaneously (such as sending one version of the signal to a recorder, while sending the other to the live mixing deck). Could I use one of these backwards (i.e. to send two signals into one signal path, instead of vice versa)? Would a simple “Y cord” do the job? Or would I need a simple “utility mixer” such as the ART mixer, which mixes three mics down into one signal? Remember that this will be for live applications, NOT recording, so the integrity of the signal path is much less critical than it would be if it were for recording.

Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

There is a box called a combiner that will do exactly what you need. Whirlwind makes it. Audio Technica makes one with a balance control, nice if you use it to mic two things at once. That little ART dealie would be fine too, as would the Rolls combiner.

A simple Y cable won't do the trick, it has to do with impedance. You could make one yourself, it just takes a few resistors. Not quites as nice as the transformer ones, but whatever.

Here is a Rane article that shows the schematic, it will fit inside a male xlr with an extender attached to it.

Why not Wye?

Back