Tube Mics & Pre's

Manuwack

Jus had a quik question..i've been looking at a few tube mic's...and i was wondering...can u still use it with a solid state pre..or should u go with a tube pre amp??

With a tube mic, you'd probably be better off with a solid state preamp...

One more thought... Unless you get into the high-end (over $1000) tube preamps, you'll probably encounter what is refered to as 'starved plate' tube... Which means the tubes operate at really low voltages like 9-12 volts, instead of up to 300 volts that the higher end stuff operates at. These lower voltages really won't add anything sonically 'good' to your sound...

The above paragraph is what I have read by several users on several forums... I did however, last week, order a lower end tube pre to test with... After those tests, I'd be able to give you 'real world' scenerios...

Bottom line: You'd probably be better off with a good, clean solid state preamp unless you spent over $1000 for a tube pre...

Just my .02 worth...

Sorry to sound like a newb, but on a budget couldn't you get some of the best of both worlds with something like the VTB-1?

From the reviews I read, it seems that when the tube is not engaged, the pre behaves like a fine console SS unit, while allowing you to "enhance" the warmth with the tube stage.

I don't own this, so I am only going on what others have reported...and for $99, it seems a deal.

h1pst3r

The bellari stuff is relatively cheap, but not a starved plate design. The opamps are socketed and easy to upgrade. If you upgrade the opamp and tube, you'll have a worthwhile tube pre. There are other mods that are more involved (which I haven't done) but swapping the opamp and tube is easy, and not too expensive.

Nice to see you here Mr. Ubertar. Weve been talking via email.

Sonic Albert is the piano player i was talking about. Hes a member here.

Hey Teddy. Or should I call you Ray? I really hope things work out with putting together some kind of tour. We'll probably play in Ghana eventually, too, since that's where the drummer is from.

I hope we're not hijacking the thread... sorry.

kidvybes said:
Groove Tubes Brick...not starved-plate...not $1000. ($399 new)

I've heard some great things about this one as well. We are thinking of upgrading to this in my studio in the not so near future. If you can get your hands on one your luckier than me!

-Deng

What a strange thread ... use whatever pres you already have dude unless you feel you need something better or specifically different. At that point there are various options open to you, some have tubes and some don't ... and sometimes that's relevant to the sounds they make and sometimes it isn't.

Don't get fooled into making an unnecessary gear purchase!

noisedude said:
What a strange thread ... use whatever pres you already have dude unless you feel you need something better or specifically different. At that point there are various options open to you, some have tubes and some don't ... and sometimes that's relevant to the sounds they make and sometimes it isn't.

Don't get fooled into making an unnecessary gear purchase!
that's exactly why i made this thread..so i wouldn't buy sum shit i didn't need...thanx alot for the reply's :)

Back