Tips for recording Vocals?

fiveironguy

So ive been doing this recording thing for about a year and just today realized i dont know what the hell im doing, I struggle constantly with vocals. This is what I have

Rode NTK
SM 57's
sm81's
Aphex 207 mic preamp

Up until now i really only recorded wussy type acousticy guitar vocals, but now that im set up for rock i wanan track rock vocals, i find my recordings just lack so much vocally, anyone have any big tips? normally i just run the NTK through the preamp and go nuts.

A little more info would be helpful:

How are you recording (computer, cassette, reel-to-reel, etc.)?

If computer, what soundcard are you using and how are you connecting everything?

What do you mean by "go nuts?"

What is it that you don't like about your current vocal sound?

If you check the "search" feature of the bulletin board, you will probably find lots of threads on similar topics.

Without any more info, I can say your probably on the right track. NTK is your "best" vocal mic, though there is the off chance that it just doesn't work for your voice.

Standard vocal technique (i.e the starting point, not the absolute rule) is to place the mic upside down with the grill about even with the vocalists nose, angled a bit down (to catch head and chest resonance, not just the sound coming out of your mouth.)

Then start about 6-8 inches away from the mic (the NTK, that is) and work around it (down to 1", if it sounds good) and around the sides to find where the magic spot it. Sometimes its quite a ways off axis.

If you're using the 57, you might as well treat it like its a live mic and get right up on it. Watch your levels and back off from the mic for the really loud notes. The mic *can* be used the way I described with the NTK, but without a better preamp it usually doesn't sound all that great. Try it though.

Don't forget the pop filter. *really* important when you are working that close to the mic.

Probably the best way to practice vocal technique is to patch in that 57 and sing like you're playing live. Watch the levels and try to adjust your distance from the mic to keep your levels relatively high when you are singing quietly and back off enough to not clip when you are singing loud. Its fun, too. If you have the option to set your meters to RMS (rather than peak, which tends to be the default these days) you have a more accurate loudness reading.

Then there's the whole mess about how vocals are treated after they are recorded. Reverb, compression, EQ... you name it- part of what we think of as a "good" vocal sound these days uses biys of all of those.

Take care,
Chris

Sorry for the lack of info, i am recording on computer using a Motu 896 firwire unit, usually just use plugins and eqing, im just not good at where it should sit in the mix.. i dont really know what im asking. just nee dhelp

Some stuff might try to do, is, use eq....I find my vocals, always need some eq. They come out very full, but always in the midrange. This can create some muddy sounds. I eq out some of the lows, and mids, then you might try to add some reverb, or delay, or even chorus. I took some advice from scrubs, and only do one vocal track, as 2 from me sounds like 2 different people singing. When I get a good take, I then spend some time playing with eq, and other effects. It takes some trial and error, but becomes easier the more times you do it. I don't sing well, and have a very loud voice, so my advice may only work for me, but it gives you some things to try.
Ed

Do you have a compression plugin? Slap one on the vocal track, and poke around for a "vocal" preset.

Compression usually help the vocal sit in the mix without being too loud or too soft.

That's one thing to try at least.

-C

Back