Sterling Audio microphones

j-boy

So when did Groove Tube microphones become 'Sterling Audio'? I see where Guitar Sinner is plugging them big-time...

They didnt become sterling audio. They share one thing...a connection to Aspen Pittman, a tube visionary and electronics guru.

The sterling mics are manufactured in the same factory the old groove tubes stuff and look identical.

They have the same damn model numbers, too, except with an "s" where the "g" used to be. If the ST55 is not the exact same thing as the GT55 (which I own) they sure as hell went to a lot of trouble to make it LOOK the same. Is the GT55 such a legendary icon of recording lore that other manufacturers are trying to duplicate it? I mean, it's a nice mic and all, but let's face it, it's not a u87.

It is the same mic manufactured for less for GC. A little cheaper for them, but same markup. Not bad mics, I own a couple (st57/st66), not high end mics.

At least one of the GT mics, the GT 44, is a rather nice mid-sized (3/4") tube condenser mic, with interchangeable capsules (card, hypercard and omni). It looks like the Sterling S44 is the same mic. Is it? Can you get the other capsules for it?

homestudioguy said:
Musicians friend is selling them too! :eek:

...that would be because MF is the online arm of GC...one and the same ;)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/company/90s.cfm

...this is all very reminiscent of MXL developing it's 900 series mics (only available in the US from Musician's Friend)...it allows the established brand to offer a "private label" version of it's product line which can be sold at lower street pricing than the original branded product (so as not to cause any pricing concerns among the smaller product retailers)...afterall, GC and MF are massive as far as volume sales go...with that goes special treatment... ;)

Last edited:
Micter said:
I'm not 100% convinced that these are the same mics as the GT line.
Well this is from the website home page:
Sterling Audio is also proud to work with legendary researcher and designer of tubes and microphones for over thirty years, Richard Aspen Pittman. He’s recognized in the music industry as the foremost authority on tone.

Back