Some things to think about when choosing mics.

First, you need a dual sided capsule, or you will lose the multipattern functionality. The C3 uses a two sided capsule (which is really a 16mm MD capsule) to change the polar patterns. and they are actually electret capsules. I don't know if the effort and expense of changing the capsule would be worth it. From what I have read, you'll need to replace the electronics as well as the IC amps in the circuit are lousy. It's a very noisy mic overall. The few comments that I've seen ended up only using the body and headbacket. Everything else was changed. I tried to find the thread that had pics, etc but it's not showing up in my search right now. The C3 is apparently not a good candidate for "upgrades".

I generally don't know if DIY upgrades are all that productive. Unless you have the proper analytical tools, how can you tell whether you have anything close to a properly spec'd microphone. I read about people changing parts and it's always the same result... "it sounds amazing now". I suspect that it's often confimation bias. Nobody wants to admit that they just spend $200 buying a new capsule and other parts, spent hours replacing stuff, and now it sounds awful. Instead, my $300 project always sounds "way better than the $5000 Neumann that I used 5 years ago in a pro studio!"

There are lots of decent mics for decent prices. MXL V67G for cardioid, AKG P420 for multipattern. The Studio Projects B3 actually sounds pretty darn good. The Miktek 300 is very good sounding.
Lewitt mics are all the rage for quality inexpensive mics.

I've heard some good things about the Lewitt mics, but don't have any experience with them. The 240 and 440 would be good ones to check out. I know that they are widely recommended, but that can change (internet forums can be fickle!). 20 years ago, the Studio Projects mics were the hot ticket, especially the C1.

Of the 4 mics that I mentioned, I have 3 of them, and probably should have bought the AKG as well. I might still grab one, although I really don't need it. I've had the SP-B3s for almost 20 years, and the V67G for almost 10. The Miktek is the last mic that I bought and it sounds very good, with a nice and open sound. I've also got an NT1 that has gotten a lot of use, it's been my preferred vocal mic. If the Signature Series NT1 is the same as the version I have, it a steal at $160! The V67G, although a touch on the noisy side, has a really smooth sound for a mic that cost me $70 new!

I would rather buy a new mic that try to mod something that's lackluster, unless you have equipment to check it, or a REALLY good reference!

I've heard some good things about the Lewitt mics, but don't have any experience with them. The 240 and 440 would be good ones to check out. I know that they are widely recommended, but that can change (internet forums can be fickle!). 20 years ago, the Studio Projects mics were the hot ticket, especially the C1.

Of the 4 mics that I mentioned, I have 3 of them, and probably should have bought the AKG as well. I might still grab one, although I really don't need it. I've had the SP-B3s for almost 20 years, and the V67G for almost 10. The Miktek is the last mic that I bought and it sounds very good, with a nice and open sound. I've also got an NT1 that has gotten a lot of use, it's been my preferred vocal mic. If the Signature Series NT1 is the same as the version I have, it a steal at $160! The V67G, although a touch on the noisy side, has a really smooth sound for a mic that cost me $70 new!

I would rather buy a new mic that try to mod something that's lackluster, unless you have equipment to check it, or a REALLY good reference!
I have a nice collection of ADK mics. Their U67 clone (Z67) is the best lg Diaphragm tube mic I’ve ever used, and I had two vintage U67’s in a studio I managed in 1980. I have their U47 clone a small dia condenser, and the Thor which is great on bass amps, kik, saxophones and stuff like that. I think that generally it’s better to by new quality mics than pay high dollar for vintage mics. Many of sound nearly indistinguishable and are more dependable.

I'm sure the Z67 is a very good mic, but I'm also guessing that someone asking about modifying a Berry C3 isn't going to shell out 3 grand for a mic. MAYBE $300.

It's no different from cars, I might LIKE to have a Ferarri, but the budget might say Kia. Now, if I buy a used Toyota MR2, and add a Ferarri body kit will I get the performance I want? 🏎️

I'm sure the Z67 is a very good mic, but I'm also guessing that someone asking about modifying a Berry C3 isn't going to shell out 3 grand for a mic. MAYBE $300.

It's no different from cars, I might LIKE to have a Ferarri, but the budget might say Kia. Now, if I buy a used Toyota MR2, and add a Ferarri body kit will I get the performance I want? 🏎️

Aren’t the mic mods the opposite in that you are replacing the motor not the body? It’s like putting a V-8 in a Volkswagen.

$3k isn’t cheap for a mic. I think mine was only around $2k, but still that isn’t cheap, which is why I suggested to take a look at the Lewitt mics which get a lot of attention for being a lot of mic for little money.

I think the mic mod kits are a good way for a diy guy on a budget to improve his sound. I’ve never rebuilt one before but I’d give it a go. I’ve seen some kits that supposedly turns 57’s into SM7’s for cheap. I’d probably start there, then I might buy one of those cheap Chinese U87 knockoffs and replace the guts with better quality components.

Early on we did lots of recordings with just sm57’s and 58’s.

There was a Elvis Costello record from the late 70’s where they supposedly only used 57’s for the entire record?

I also have a V67G, hard not to like a less than $100 mic that sounds good! I bought it after seeing Harvey's test of cheap mics and used it for several years and still have it. Now I have a NT1 as my primary vocal mic, and have also used it to record acoustic guitar. I'm very happy with the NT1 and they are not terribly expensive.

I also have a V67G, hard not to like a less than $100 mic that sounds good! I bought it after seeing Harvey's test of cheap mics and used it for several years and still have it. Now I have a NT1 as my primary vocal mic, and have also used it to record acoustic guitar. I'm very happy with the NT1 and they are not terribly expensive.
My first mic that wasn’t from a used bin or a pawn shop was one of the first generation Equitek E100 mic. I always thought of as a poor man’s AKG414. I still have it, even though it doesn’t get a lot of use these days. It’s a condenser but has a rechargeable battery inside that is charged up with phantom power, but will work without the phantom power once it’s charged up. I’m not sure of any other mic that has this feature?

Back