Sennheiser e609 vs. e609

tubedude

Ok, Eeldip and anyone else thats interested...

I just sat and a/b'ed my original e609 and the new Musicians Friend e609. Someone just pointed out on the other thread that the old one was "evolution" and the new one is "emotion".
Tricky business there, anyone wanna shoot an email to Sennheiser?
They are EXACTLY the same size, weight, etc, with same casing except the MF one has the chrome grill.

SOUND:
I A/B'ed them, and found the following and confiremed it several times.
The new one was slightly hotter with a brighter more defined top. Not extremely so, but it was noticible each time.
The original MIGHT be a little smoother on top, maybe thats why it didnt sound quite as bright, but its really hard to make that call.
They both exhibited the same mid range thing that the mic is known for.
Aside from the new one being slightly hotter (maybe 3db) and slightly brighter, they are the same otherwise. I did notice that the newer one sounded more detailed, but that is always a result of the high end being a bit more crisp, it will give you that impression.
On my voice, I prefered the new one, actually. I'll try them on guitar cabs and see what I think in the next couple days.
Peace.

is there an easy way to look at the guts?

(dont want you screwing up your mic but...)

my guess here is that it is the same basic design, but with some slightly cheaper parts with similar specs, and manufactured in china.

do i care? no. i'll probably be picking one up soon... do they have them at GC? if they do, it is going to be tuff to walk home today and not buy one... i suppose i'll have to take the subway and safely ride underneath the GC.

ok. they are pretty different. they are both "evolution" not emotion.

different frequency response, the cheaper one having the presence peak. and of course, the silver one is .9 oz heavier!

regular 609
http://buy.sennheiserusa.com/ASP/Sennheiser/pdf/e609.pdf

"silver" 609
http://buy.sennheiserusa.com/ASP/Sennheiser/pdf/e609silver.pdf

well that settles that part of the puzzle. personally, i think i am more interested in the regular 609... so i wont be stopping by GC today..

i'll have to wait for another full compass 609 blowout.

on that last thought i just checked the full compass clearance and they have sennheiser e602s that were purchased for the grammys for $133 each...

just a heads up.

Thats the e602s, not the 609's we are talking about. I bought a Grammy used e602 from them earlier today, it will be here tomorrow (thursday). Got it shipped next day at $151.00

So they are different mics, eh? They dont feel different weights, but thats a pretty small difference. They are certainly the same exact size.
Still, for $100, its does have that midrange "thing" that will kill on toms and some dirty guitars.

I think its a better mic than a 57, and for only $20 more, well... it looks WAY cooler too. :)

Think I'll buy one of those EV 635a deals and see how it does on guitar. I hear its a sleeper. MIght put it in my ISO box.

call me crazy but

I think their are 3 versions of the E-609 because if you look in one of the last AMS catalogs they have the 99 dollar deal going and i believe its from the emotion line. If my memory is correct the 2 on the sennheiser page don't exactly look like those that are in the evolution series. Tubedude can you confirm this?

missed the part about the EV-635a

i borrowed one from a friend (thanks beezoboy) last week to use on a project and i was really impressed with the results compared to a shure 57.
Went ahead and picked one up off ebay for 50 bucks. For that cheap its worth having around even if you don't use it all the time.

Back