sennheiser!!

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
I was recording my guitar last night and really didn't like the sound I was getting with my sm57, so I mic'd it up with my sennheiser 421 and it sounded great. just wanted to let you all know.

ametth

Reactions: XLR
I use the same mic for guitar and have also had good luck with it. How did you position it in relation to the speakers ?

Reactions: XLR
I'm new to the game so I'm still messing around, but here's what I did: I used the sennheiser about 2" away from the grill, pointed toward the outside rim of the little dome in the middle(understand?). I also used a condensor (cad) for a room mic and got a great sound.

ametth

Cool.
I've been playing with mic positioning quite a bit myself, with the help of postings here, and I finally found a sweet spot. On my 4x12 cabinet, I place the mic 10 inches out and in line with the right, outside rim of the speaker cone ( upper right speaker ) and angled to point at the opposite side of "the little dome". Then crank the amp WAY up. Works great for heavy guitar sounds.
Of course that position probably isn't relevant to anyone but me. I guess everyone has to go through that process of finding the right spot.

Back