Scratchy ole fiddle?

lo beam

I've had a quick search & the concensus seems to be that...there's no concensus...except use a dark sounding mic placed high above the player.

Well, I'll make it simpler - I have these mics to use today to record some fiddle:

Akg 414
Neumann U87
Rode NT4
Rode NT5 ( pair)
Rode 1000
ADK Vienna

Which would you choose ( and where would you stick it )?

Ta.

None of those are particularly "dark sounding" mics. The NT5 may be the first to try, as some say it is dark for an SDC. If you could get your hands on a ribbon mic, that might be better.

Yeah - am thinking the 414 too, but quite high up ( like 2 foot or so) and on omni. It's gonna be in a nice big, well-treated room.

Or, a wild card which I may try is this Beyerdynamic TGX 80 dynamic mic that I use for live vocals. Never recorded with it, but it's exceptionally detailed-sounding for a dynamic.

I've recorded a lot of fiddlers, pros to beginners.

If you record a fiddle on axis to the f holes, unless it is a great instrument and a great player, you will get a fair amount of bow noise (scratch to some). I like to mic at the height of the top of the players head, pointed at players chin over the headstock of the instrument. If too noisy, move from there. Very occasionally, mic the back side.

In my experience, a fiddle sounds much better generally with a ribbon mic. Maybe rent one? If you do, also rent an AEA TRP pre amp.

Well thanks for the input - but I just had to use what was available. In the end I went for an old Calrec small dia condenser with an omni cap, not sure of the exact model, but it turned out to be just the ticket.

Back