Rooms

iqi616

Yet another Mike
This is not a question on mics themselves but a question about the rooms we record in. Any pointers to links, books, articles gratefully received.

So, I've got a good understanding about mics and placement for recording singers/instruments but I've not found any helpful suggestions for choosing rooms and the position within the room. I'm not talking specifics but in general. I know that it is always down to the specific player, instrument, mic, room, combination but I'm looking for a start point so that I'm closer to the ballpark when I start.

Have any of you found any good rules of thumb? I'm not talking rock, funk or pop because then I go for as dry a sound as I can. I'm thinking more for jazz, folk, and trad where I'm looking for a bit of room sound that will enhance the recording. Example situations are: drums, acoustic guitar, classical guitar, sax, vocals. What sorts of rooms should I be looking for? Should I go near walls or corners? Should the mic face into or out of the space? What about floors - when do reflective floors help and when do they not? What about ceiling height?

I suppose this is like photography - into the Sun is trickiest but gives the most atmosphere.

Back