Rode NTK vs. Rode NT1A

wayneweaver

Hey everyone:

I am a tenor and I have just recorded my first track for my album on a Rode NTK, which my producer has.

I personally own a NT1A and I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two. I'm a tenor and I'm thinking that I would sound better on the NT1A. The NTK does not seem to give my voice enough presence!

Can anyone offer any advice?

THanks!

Well,
It is my understanding that the NTK is a tube mic that tends to be a little bright, but the NT1a is non tube -transformerless condensor that is bright to the point of almost harshness.

So if those are your only 2 choices and you need something brighter than the NTK the NT1a is the choice for you.

NTK has plenty of "bright", must be something else amiss, like eq.....

I use the NTK almost exclusively for male vocals as well as on acoustic guitar. In both instances I too get "plenty of bright." I agree with Big Kenny, there must be something else going on...

Bright?

I'm not sure what everyone means by bright?

When my friend records with the NTK, the vocals are perfect. With my recording, my voice seems to get lost and not really crisp & clear nor warm sounding!

Is there a difference in recording someone with a large classical tenor voice vs. a pop voice.

Could anyone recommend a better microphone to capture all overtones?

Thanks!

I think you should first check your technique, distance from mic, angle to the mic, pop filter, mixing technique, panning, eq. compression....... or just get a hot preamp and an SM 7

First of all, any time a vocal isn't working and you suspect the mic isn't right, then put up some more mics and find what works for the track, even if that turns out to be an SM57.... hell, even if it turns out to be a Mr Microphone. I own an NTK, and it's a great mic. But even on my own voice, I'll love it on one track, and then find it doesn't work on another track, something else does. So don't jump to the conclusion that the NTK isn't a good mic for your voice based on one track, and don't decide it must be something else because everyone says it's a great mic for your kind of voice. Also, if there are other preamps available, consider trying a different pre with the NTK.

Microphones are a bit like fishing lures. The worst thing you can do is just tie one on and leave it there all day not catching fish because the fishing report said that was the hot lure to use last week.

Excellent analogy actually.
I have tried the same exact mic / pre / settings on the same voice and dependant on the day / hour / song, note range /relative humidity, it can be good or different.

Excellent analogy actually.
I have tried the same exact mic / pre / settings on the same voice and dependant on the day / hour / song, note range /relative humidity, it can be good or different.

I'm pretty much a novice, but I have been using an NTK for vocals. So here's my experience...

I recorded a singer who sounded great on it when he did his first take of a tune. But then I noticed there was a pop in the track ('P' sound). I had the mic set in the same position, same eq, same room acoustics, and the same singer came back a week later and did a punch in. Nothing had changed.

Oddly, the voice sounded very different. All I can conclude is that the singer sounded different. I think it had more to do with the condition of his vocal cords, or throat, and mood, than the mic. Take #2 was more "throaty" and "raspy" and "dry".

I've heard also that the tube needs at least 30 minutes to warm up, before you start tracking. That's a good rule to follow.

I had both microphones

I started off with a Rode NT1. Loved it. Worth every
penny .. but then read the reviews of authors who reviewed
the NTK and said ...'You could hear the saliva trickling down
the singer's throat' ... and brought it back and traded up.
One of the wisest choices I have ever made.

I love the NTK (for my voice). It has an intimacy for voice
over work ... a sensuous quality .... What I don't like is
lugging around the power supply ... :)

I have purchased many mics looking to take that next
step ... but for me .... and my personal use ... the NTK
is THE MIC .... Not for everyone. I know some people
who shine with a Shure SM7 ... but it doesn't work for
my voice.

John Petrocelli
nyc hypnosis center
healthwithhypnosis dot com

Back