Røde NT1-a vs Mxl 2003

smekke

Hi! Witch one of these mic's would you say is the best? I'm manly going to use it as a vocal mic. Maybe record some strings.. but as sayd manly vocals.

Sry about bad english (norwegian) :p

Haven't used that particular MXL, but I own an NT1-A and I really like the way it sounds on my voice, YMMV. I'd say, for the money it costs (over here), it's worth a shot.

tnx for the answeres! I looked a little at the SP mic's, and they dont' look bad at all, but can't find any store her in norway that sells audio technica... but SP C1 looks verry good.

But i'm still not shure... When I read the forums, everybody says different things... Some people say that Rode Nt1a is the best, som say SP C1, and some say that the SP C1's not good. It's so hard to make up my mind... So can anyone pleas just say what they think, just say one mic. Not make a reply and say 3 different ones :P And prox. the same price as a Nt1a or a SP C1... tnx for the help

both of thoes mics are on the bright side, but the nt1 gets described as "harsh" much more often. rarely does any one with experience over a broad range of mikes like it very much.

i say get the c1.

smekke said:
Maybe record some strings.. but as sayd manly vocals.

I want to record manly vocals also. Haha just kidding with you, I think you meant mainly but manly applys also.

Get a Studio Projects. Never used one but people like them and they arent THAT expensive.

http://www.hr-faq.org/

check out that site for more .. insight. :)

takk, erockrazor

once you go russian...

I like the MXL 2003 for mono drum overhead, but on vocals I've found it to be a little bright. The Studio Projects is okay, but I can't explain it, it just really didn't do anything special regardless of the voice I put it on. It was okay, but I'd probably look into an Oktava, preferrably modded. Oktavas are just as underpriced and wonderful microphones with a lot of room to even improve it with a few modifications. The MKL2500 is good good stuff, so are the ribbons or the 219. As strange as this sounds, the Oktavas are a bit friendlier in the "warm" vintagey sort of tones. They mesh very well with my analog set up, although I'm not sure how they'd come across in digital. Hope this helps.

I have a 2003, and to be honest, it doesn´t work with biggest part of singers I tried.
Comparing sessions I recorded (same singer, male) with the 2003 and a Shure SM 58, a JTS (copy of a beta 58) and a Samson C03,cheaper mics than the 2003, I can tell you :MXL 2003 even can sounds good alone, but is the "hardest" to "sit" in a mix.
(well, that´s my experience...)

(and, well, maybe I need a better condenser too :D )

Ciro

Erockrazor said:
I think you meant mainly

haha, yea, i'm not that goood at spelling.. but i have lived in USA, so i'm better at speeking, than writing (thank god for speeling check) ^^

What do you think of ADK Vienna Edition insted of SP C1 ?? Just a though, but I don't know.. Becaus I saw that the ADK Vienna Edition was on sale, almost 50% cheaper..

Back