please, i need help (again) with recording my band's demo HEELP!

Marcos Myara

Hey, again..

im using Cakwalk Homestudio 2002 to record my band's demo and im having some problems...
the guitar sound is "flattened" u know what i mean? and its getting saturated u know, i think its the way im recording it..

where should i put the mic when recording the guitar?? (the guitar amp, to be more specific)
and the same about the bass!

ps.: im recording with the mic connected directly to my sound card (sound blaster live!)

does anyone use cakewalk homestudio2002? i really need some help adjusting the volumes and frequences of my tracks, just to get a little better (not PROFESSIONAL) u know what i mean...

thanks for the attention, and sorry for my english, im from Brazil
Marcos.

ps.: if u want to help me with the frequences/volumes adjusts of my songs, id appreciate it! it would be easier with a more 'direct' contact, like AIM, or ICQ..

Just a guess

I use adats so i haven't really messed around with computer based recording. My guess is that your stuff is sounding bad because you are running the mic into a soundblaster live soundcard which is krap when it comes to recording. Your gonna need to get a different soundcard for better results. (some of the guys who use computers can recommend some).
As far as micing guitar goes get a sm-57 and put it against the grill and put it a little off center aiming torwards the cone. Aiming at the cone will give you alot of high-end and the further from the center you will get less. Just put on some headphones and listen as you move the mic around. Find the spot you like.

yeah, but i dont have the money to buy a bertter sound card :/

but im almost sure i can do something related to equalization and graphic stuff (frequences) to get the sound a lil better.... i just dont know about those things :/

Marcos.

thx for the advice!

its a roland dr-20 .......

great idea dude!!!!!!!!!!! ill rec the bass directly to the sound card, it was getting pretty noisy and distorted when miking the amp.. thx alot!

Marcos.

make sure that all of your levels are not distorting, never eq anything while your recording and what type of mic are you using
to record the guitar?

When you record the guitars with the mic you need to use a pre-amp and then run a line-in to your soundcard. That will give you a much better sound than running the mic directly into the soundcard. I use sm-58's to record the cabs with the mic about 6" out from the grill on the edge of the speaker pointing it towards the center. You may want to give a try at recording with two mics in different locations for a stereo effect or recording a separate track directly into the soundcard from the line-out of your amps and then later on mix that with your mic recording. Eventually you'll only be limited by you imagination. Good luck, have fun and welcome to the forum!

:)

I advice you to use a newer and different soft.
(Cooledit Pro,Cakewalk Guitar Pro, Magix Music Studio, etc, etc.
And of course better: guitar-amplifier-sound card for a good sound.

I don't think that most of the problem is cakewalk or soundblaster. I think the problem is going direct from the mic to to the soundcard is the problem If you are going to the mic-in then you are using the crappy preamps on the soundcard and if you are going to the line-in then your signal is too weak. If you get a preamp and go to the line-in then the soundblaster can produce reasonable sounding recordings.

dan_r said:
I advice you to use a newer and different soft.
(Cooledit Pro,Cakewalk Guitar Pro, Magix Music Studio, etc, etc.
And of course better: guitar-amplifier-sound card for a good sound.

.....and the two year old thread is resurrected! :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back