Phase reversing?

Rimshot

I have recently been mic'ing my snare with a mic above and a mic below (both e604's) and I haven't noticed any problems or phase distortions. But everyone tells me that one of these two mics should be reverse phase. Idon't have a seperate pre-amp with a reverse switch on it. I'm running everything into my Yamaha MG16/4 (great little unit) and it allows me to tailor the sound of the snare differently for different types of music. (that's good).But there is no reverse phase switch (that's bad)
I went into Guitar Psycho today to see if there was an adapter that I could buy to plug into my XLR cable that would reverse phase and they told me no, and tried to sell me a Presonis Blueball Nightmare. (I can't afford such a thing right now and if I could it certainly wouldn't be that piece of garbage it would be a DMP3.I've heard the noise coming out of the Bluetube.)

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a way that I can reverse phase through the board that I don't know about or should I just buy an extension cable and rewire it? (splice + to - and - to +) Or is that a really bad idea? Any thoughts?

Why not just rewire a mic cable of out of phase? But make sure you mark the mic cable so later you always remember that's it's wired out of phase.

Thanks, for the next week or two,
finances are a big problem. I get paid next week and then I will spend sensibly. I think it will be easier for me to just rewire one of the cables at the xlr jack,(thanks DJL) and thanks to the other post for that link to the in-line phase reverse unit, I may consider that later. I'm living on mac & cheese dinners and hot dogs till my check comes in (I only get paid twice during the summer-teacher's wages) and the $50+ dollars is even too much for me right now (pathetic).
I have never run ito this before and I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't do any damage to my board or mics with this "jury rig". Hell, there's a lot I haven't come across, I'm still new to this electric end of music making.

Back